ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#90567 11/30/04 11:25 AM
R
What do you think of being told you can`t place a recessed can in a ceiling with no attic area. He maintains I can only install a old work can there.Not one with rails installed. He maintains no accses to juction box. Never heard this one.But I see a point almost but it can be taken out but not easily.Heck we do it all the time down stairs cans.Is there any justification for this.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
The rails are just a convience for installing.

You can remove the assembly thru the light hole to gain access to the junction box.

E
Another day another dope. Is this "He" claiming to be an inspector.

C
410.67 Wiring.
(A) General. Conductors that have insulation suitable for the temperature encountered shall be used.
(B) Circuit Conductors. Branch-circuit conductors that have an insulation suitable for the temperature encountered shall be permitted to terminate in the luminaire (fixture).
(C) Tap Conductors. Tap conductors of a type suitable for the temperature encountered shall be permitted to run from the luminaire (fixture) terminal connection to an outlet box placed at least 300 mm (1 ft) from the luminaire (fixture). Such tap conductors shall be in suitable raceway or Type AC or MC cable of at least 450 mm (18 in.) but not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) in length.

This has been in the Code in one form or another for quite a while. The placement of the outlet box one foot away was for maintenance.
The 6 feet (used to be 4-6 feet)of suitable raceway allowed you to drop the can out of the ceiling and get it out of your face to get in to the J box one foot away to service the branch circuit conductors. Another theory was the (4) to 6' that used to be required (before pre-wired fixtures I think 1996 or 99) allowed the fixture wires to cool before they contacted the old 60 degree Cel. wiring at the branch circuit J box . The old recessed cans used to come with a snap on J box no pre wire no fixture wire.

BTW unless otherwise listed your installation should be acceptable
Charlie

[This message has been edited by cpal (edited 11-30-2004).]

H
Reel-Break,

I was tripped up on this one some years back. It was with a recessed fixture, rated for thru-branch wiring, but it had a small opening. There is a problem with the UL listing of the fixture. UL list recessed fixtures with an opening smaller than 6" to have its junction box very close to the opening to be rated for thru branch wiring. I forget the equation, but it has to do with adding the distance horizontally and vertically that the bos is located from the opening and comparing this amount to the diameter of the opening. If you need it, I'll look it up

Link Copied to Clipboard