ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#90344 11/16/04 12:21 PM
R
royta Offline OP
A homeowner would like me to install a fluorescent light fixture and a couple 120V receptacles in his new wooden Tuff Shed. He already has an existing Tuff Shed, which somebody previously installed a couple receps into, and he (homeowner) would like me to get the power for the second shed from the first shed.

There is at least one violation with the first shed, which is easily resolved; there is no disconnect at the shed. However, there is a second situation which I don't know is okay or not. Power to the first shed is obtained from an outside recep on the house. A weather proof extension box was installed, and PVC conduit run to the first shed. Does the first shed need it's own circuit from the panel, or is it okay to share another circuit from the house? If it needs it's own circuit, can the second shed use the same circuit as the first shed, or does each shed need their own circuit from the main panel?

I apologize if this seems simple to others, but I've actually never ran power to a remote building, where I didn't install a sub panel. I do however know that I will not need grounding electrodes at each shed, as per the Exception to 250.32(A).

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 11-16-2004).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#90345 11/16/04 02:01 PM
G
I don't see anything that prevents building 3 from being fed from building 2.

Greg Fretwell
#90346 11/16/04 02:29 PM
R
royta Offline OP
What about how building 2 (first shed) was fed in the first place?

#90347 11/16/04 06:21 PM
G
I don't know why you couldn't feed a shed from the outside receptacle, assuming that was legal (proper wiring, depth, GFCI and not off the bathroom).
At a certain point we may have some design issues but I don't see the code problem yet.

Greg Fretwell
#90348 11/16/04 06:30 PM
R
royta Offline OP
You are correct with the design issues. I'm looking forward to moving away from residential remodel work. Homeowner's only understand one thing, price. They don't care what it looks like as long as it's inexpensive. That doesn't do well for me, because I end up priding myself out of a job, or losing the job to a non-compliant bid. I might not know the code like I wish I did, but I will certainly find out what is right and wrong before starting an installation.

There actually is a code issue, but it will go away once I extend the circuit to the 2nd shed. The PVC conduit terminates into a handy box mounted on the outside of the shed. At least there is a weather proof cover on the handy box though. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard