ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Hi,
is it required to disconnect all communications when an E-stop is activated in a Classified area...like at a fueling station?

Art. 514.11 is disconnects and 514.13 is all about maint.

thanks for any replies..

-regards

Mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 11-02-2004).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Mustang, I'm not sure what you are calling a "fueling station" but if it is a gas station look at 514.11 and 514.13. Your post made me get the book out but that's okay. [Linked Image]

George Little
M
Hi,
thanks for the reply. Yes this is a gas station. the inspector wants all communications and computers to comply with art 514.11 and 514.13 which I say we do becasue the pumps are shunt trip and as I understand it this does not disconnect the communications or computers...514.13 covers MAINTENANCE and to do that all you need to do is operate the OCPD or disconnect the attachment plug for the device..

follow me?

thanks for any replies..

-regards

Mustang

W
Where are these communications?? In a classified area??.Are they in a kiosk? How does a shunt trip switch the neutral??

M
Hi,
The communications is a call button and speaker mounted at the dispenser..

This is a classified area up to 18". Shunt trip opens grounded and ungrounded conductors..

-regards

Mustang

W
You have a 3 pole shunt trip? that has a space for the neutral(grounded conductor)? If so who makes it?, thats alot easier than a relay.
Interesting point on call button and speaker, don't use call buttons and speakers are generally built into pump but could cause a spark. Never seen the speakers shut off with a panic button.

Is this location unattended?

M
Hi,
This is an attended public fueling station. There is a relay and there is a shunt trip I cannot say who makes it but I can try and find out. I am thinking Cutler Hammer.

The article 514.11 is talking about disconnecting the circuit to the dispenser pump and any auxillary power such as for lighting. It does not address the low voltage circuits. Article 514.13 is talking about maintenance and being able to remove power to communications and computers etc. but for maint. not emergency. If I am interpreting it coreectly..

thanks for the replies..

-regards

Mustang

W
If its an attended self serv, I don't see where the NEC requires an E Stop that shuts all dispensers down at once.

M
Hi,
Please see 514.11 (a)for requirement.

-regards

Mustang

Link Copied to Clipboard