ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 227 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
How do you do an inspection and verify the circuits are working properly (which is required by code) without there being a fixture of some sort installed? If just the bulb is burned out, how do you know? I don't think the code requires the lights to be there, all at the same time I don't think you can say the system works properly and pass the inspection without the fixtures being installed.
Is an outlet just the box, or the box with the wires installed? If it's just a box, then the contractor doesn't need to have any wires pulled. (We use pipe in Chicago)

If you want to get real picky, could someone show me an outlet controlled by a switch? The switch controls, ultimately, the device or fixture or utilization equipment attached to the circuit, not the outlet itself.

How about 110-3(8), (99 NEC Sorry I don't have my 2002 book with me) to require them to install some kind of fixture.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

D
How do you do an inspection and verify the circuits are working properly (which is required by code) without there being a fixture of some sort installed?

Lots of cities around where I live will not release the meter until the building is finalled. According to them, they are not quality control, but just to make sure it is installed according to code.

S
dmattox--What position are you taking?

Codes are a minimum quality.

D
I was just responding to the assertion that inspectors need to verify working installations. If the meter is not released until after final inspection then it is not practical for an inspector to test a working install (generators, or coming back after final, but then that wouldn't be a final).

I personally would be irritated if an inspector failed me for having a blank cover, but I understand the rational.

R
Lighting Outlet Required.

I feel if it's a required lighting outlet (except were receptacles are allowed) a luminaire is required for safty reasons. When a certificate of occupancy is issued the inspector is saying the building is complete and safe to occupy. I just don't see how you can sign off on a building that is unsafe in areas that are required to have illumination.
I wouldn't pass a job missing required lights (illumination) any more than I would if the A/C unit wasn't installed but the electric was there for it.
On a comercial job would you expect, maybe a final on a job where all the fixtures aren't installed, just enough of them to get by?
If their on the print then they will have to be installed. Required luminairs in homes are on the print, so install them.

P
210.52(A)(1) In every ... RECEPTACLE OUTLETS SHALL BE INSTALLED ....

210.70 ... LIGHTING OUTLETS SHALL BE INSTALLED ...

210.70(A)(1) exception No 1. In other than kitchens and bathrooms ...

(2)(a)&(c) Additional Locations

Article 100 - Receptacle outlet - An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed.

Even though there is no definition of 'lighting outlet', I believe the intent is similar as in receptacle outlet. Meaning the NEC expects some type of lighting luminaire/lampholder to be installed in the lighting outlet.

Since other locations in the NEC permit the installation of a switched receptacle outlet instead of a lighting outlet, I see that the kitchen, bathroom and stairway are required to have at least one luminaire/lampholder installed for the final inspection.

BTW: when one goes to the supply house, do they ask for a receptacle or receptacle outlet? [Linked Image]

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
R
Does a range or dryer need to be installed before final, or just the receptacle outlet?

Does the A/C equipment need to be installed as mentioned earlier, or just the electrical R.I. to the disconnect?

Does our work per the 2002 NEC cover end user items or choices of items?

Roger

OK, I have to cast an opinion.
Yes, light fixtures are required for a "final"; stairways, hallways, kitchen, bath, attic (IF), basement (IF), garage (IF)and any other place a switched receptacle is not allowed.

Now.....if there are multiple lighting locations, and one fixture is installed, and the 'others' are blanked-off, that is OK.

For a final, power must be on, all items must be functional, appliances must be in place (oven, stove, DW, HVAC installed, etc.

And, lastly, NO, I would not write a red sticker for a bad bulb!

John

John
I
Pierre

Even though there is no definition of 'lighting outlet', I believe the intent is similar as in receptacle outlet. Meaning the NEC expects some type of lighting luminaire/lampholder to be installed in the lighting outlet.

Article 100
Lighting Outlet. An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder, a luminaire (lighting fixture), or a pendant cord terminating in a lampholder.

Notice it states "intended", it does not state "equipped with"

The 2002 NEC use the word Luminaire over 250 times, why not here in 210.70?

I still do not see a place where the NEC requires illumination except for section 210-70(A)2(b) as Trekkie pointed out.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
I still don't know how you know it is just a bad bulb. I wouldn't bet on it. I know contractors who will install a fixture, they haven't pulled the wires yet, and put a burned out looking bulb in the fixture to make it appear that the circuit is working and installed properly. I will check three ways and the light will go on at one switch, off at the second switch, but not back on at the third switch. Inspection Report--Improperly wired three way. How do I know this without a fixture being installed and working?

As far as fixtures being installed in areas where they are not required--they are still required to be wired properly, which means a working fixture would have to be in place to properly determine this.

Do inspectors check every receptacle at the final? They should. Contractors will install the receptacles without wiring them to give the appearance they are complete.

Once again, I believe the statement is correct that the NEC does not require the fixtures to be installed, but the inspector cannot assure code compliance without fixtures being installed. (Unless the inspector has the time to allow the electrician to put his meter on every circuit where the fixture is missing. I don't know of one who does.)

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard