ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
I asked around at the company my wife works for and they say they always spec a switched half hot or two, so it is not an issue with them but you are still going to be inspecting a dark room in many cases, unless you brought a lamp with you. You don't get much light from an outlet tester.
I did watch an electric final and basically all he did was trip all the AFCIs and GFCIs with his tester and make sure the ones he could find, reset on his way out the door. I assume the criteria is if he finds an outlet in a protected area that doesn't trip with the tester you fail. Since these are master plan houses with about a 1/2" stack of change orders it is virtually impossible to figure out what all the switches do from anything in the permit board.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
For all you in CA, the answer would be yes, for certain luminaires in residential construction.
Our energy regulations require energy efficient illumination in certain areas of the house - kitchen, bathroom, and Outdoor entrances. there are some trade offs between the bath and the outdoor one.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
P
I agree with Ryan's post, but will take it one step further.
For hallways and interior stairways of 6 or more risers, I require a lighting fixture of some kind, even if it is only a 'lamp holder' such as a keyless porcelain.

The reasoning that a 'fixture' is not required would also mean that receptacles in the 'receptacle outlet' (the box installed to receive the receptacle) would not be required at a final.
210.52. Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets. This section provides requirements for 125- volt, 15- an 20- amp receptacle outlets.

Pierre

[This message has been edited by PCBelarge (edited 11-03-2004).]

Pierre Belarge
D
Article 100

Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed.

Dave

I
I agree with Ryan's post, but will take it one step further.
For hallways and interior stairways of 6 or more risers, I require a lighting fixture of some kind, even if it is only a 'lamp holder' such as a keyless porcelain.

Just what NEC section gives you the ability to require luminaires?

Dave55 pointed out the same thing I would, that the exception to 210.70(A) specifically requires a receptacle in the outlet. However 210.70(A) does not require a luminaire.

You can not enforce what is not written in the code. [Linked Image]

Please read 210.70(A) and the Article 100 definitions of Lighting outlet and receptacle outlet.

I think Earlydean has the answer, building codes may require illumination, but not the NEC.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
I
By the way, I do think luminaires are a good idea. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I am just interested in what the code requires. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
210-70(A)2(b) calls for illumination to be provided by a wall controlled lighting outlet. How could you do this with a blank cover? I agree the rest of the section could be just provisions for a light, but I think you would have to have a light up to satisfy providing illumination at the time of inspection in that particular situation.

G
We are really talking about 210.70(A)(1) and the word "illumination" does not appear. In fact all you need is a switched receptacle to meet the code.

Greg Fretwell
G
BTW if it hasn't been made clear I am not in favor of the blank cover and do not think it meets the intent of the code but I'll be damned if I could find any way to write a violation if they put a receptacle in that cover.
In fact an unqualified person COULD get a light going in there without opening up the wiring with a swag lamp.

Greg Fretwell
T
gretwell,from what I gather, you are talking about not putting lights up during a final inspection, and that it is not required. I have found a section I beleive requires a light to be in place at the time of inspection. So, tell me how you could provide ILLUMINATION without putting up a light. This is the only place the code specifys illumination.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard