ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Join the IAEI

Here is the list of Chapters and Sections of the IAEI.

http://www.iaei.com/secretarylist.pdf

I recommend membership, and anyone who is involved in the electrical industry should
consider joining.

Endorser: Joe Tedesco, IAEI Paul Revere Chapter

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
Bill,
One is less alone here as a solo act, after a day of kickin' the trade in the A**,(or Visa-Versa..) I like hearing from my counterparts....
Mike,
I've posted here awhile, and can honestly say anyone who can carry 1/2 a tune has been let to sing along, far be it that I claim perfect pitch [Linked Image]
on the other tentacle...
there are self-help forums that could politely be referred to......
Joe,
Endorser, sparky..Greem Mnt Chapter IAEI
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 01-14-2002).]

S
For what it's worth ... my 2 cents.
I agree with you guys ref not knowing what a person's knowledge level is and not wanting to give advice to one who may hurt himself with the info we give him. However; let me play the devil's advocate for a minute ...
As a 10 yr apprenticeship teacher and 10 year adult ed instructor and a former (5 yr) high school electricity instructor I've heard most of the stupid questions (yes, I believe there ARE stupid questions). Here are my two classics. The first guy is the one we all don't want to answer and the second is my devil's advocate answer.
Pat S. Pat was a home improvement contractor who took my (Adult Ed) "Occupational Electrical Wiring" class thru the County I teach for. On the first day I asked them why they took the classs. Pat's answer "I'm gonna do electrical stuff whether they let me or not so I figure I may as well learn to do it right". Well 3 weeks after the class ended my phone rang at 4AM. It was Pat, he was in Las Vegas (I'm in the DC/VA area) and did something that killed all the lights at his brother's house and wanted my advice. I told him to check his notes from class. To this day I have no idea what became of him (or his brother's house).
Bill E. He came to the same class and responded with "I have been a licensed Journeyman for 12 years but all I do is industrial controls. I've haven't seen the inside of an electrical panel since I was an apprentice. I need a review so I can work on my own house".

I have no problem talking to a guy like Bill, but Pat scares me.

Read This:

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000003.html

More discussion may be useful now after a while and may be good for all members.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
oksurefine.....

I suggest that any form of licensing, and/or certification be thrown out here, and the karate belt system be instituted......

Belts could be granted on the consensus of the group, per caliber of response given over an anual period X's posts...

[Linked Image from i.imdb.com]

all bow in the dojo....
[Linked Image]

S
I have been given the title by my state 'Master Electrician'.To me this is an oxymoron.Everybody can learn from something new.To me you have to deal with each question individually, and then determine if it is a potential novice hazard.Trust me i will probably,if already havent asked a stupid question.It kind of keeps us from truly thinking that we are 'MASTER ELECTRICIANS'..
SCjohn

S
scjohn,
> 2740 posts
>10,000's of moments wondering about them on the job
>1000's of humbling moments
>100's of misconceptions 'relearned'
>many hours floggin' the good book
>end result.....priceless.....

enter ninjas..
[Linked Image from japan2001.org.uk]
"when you can snatch the wirenuts from my hand you may leave grasshopper.."

T
I'd have to say that leaves me out too. I am untrained, (in my job that is when I get off of it [Linked Image]), but that does not mean that i don't want to do the job correctly. I look to this forum to learn, and have, extensivly.
For that thanks. But does this mean that I have to leave?
Trainwire

Trainwire,

You are a valued member of this Forum.
I think that Sparky is practicing his stand-up routine here. [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
T
Thanks Bill

Trainwire

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard