ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#8989 04/12/02 01:16 AM
C
Cindy Offline OP
i dont do fire pumps every day, hope i dont sound too stupid asking,
whatever, this is a loooong question

i'm a little confused by a one-line diagram on some plans. it shows 2 sources, the mdp and mde supplying emgcy power, to the fire pump controller. from there one circuit goes to the fire pump and the other goes to the jockey pump controller.
but the fire pump controller has a warning note that refers to nfpa20 7-3.4.4, same as 695.1, that says the fire pump controller cant be used as a j-box to supply other equipment, (assuming they are referring to the jockey pump).
it also says the supply for the jockey pump controller cant be connected to the fire pump controller. but i think the one-line showed both the fire and jockey pumps coming from the fire pump controller.
then if thats not enough confusion we dont show the 480v 100a 3ph transfer switch in the one-line but it is supposed to be located just ahead of the fire pump controller with sources from the mdp and mde using a generator for backup power.

all of that said, isnt it just saying to keep the jockey pump controller and fire pump controller separated? and if so then the one-line shouldnt show the jockey pump coming from the fire pump controller, right?

i think i remember reading that jockey pumps are ok on the fire pump feeders though, which seems to contradict what nfpa20 says?

695.4 says for power continuity when making a direct connection using a transfer switch that it should be listed as a combination fire pump controller and power transfer switch, or, a by making a supervised connection of the disco and ocpd between the source and the listed [fpc] fire pump controller and [pts] power transfer switch combination.

so does that mean that if you use a transfer switch that you have to use a listed combination fpc/pts?

dont worry, someone will help me with this, but you guys offer valuable perspectives, so thot i'd at least ask.

#8990 04/12/02 11:40 AM
G
OK Cindy.....I can trump your "stupid" question. [Linked Image]

What is a jockey pump??

GJ

#8991 04/12/02 11:43 AM
R
Ron Offline
Are MDP and MDE service drops, or ditribution boards, or what? There are specific requirements for the acceptable types of sources of a fire pump.
No matter the configuration of the two sources, they have to be transfered by a transfer switch listed for fire pump service. Most controllers can be ordered with an appropriate trans. switch upstream in the same enclosure.
If you have the code handbook, they have good diagrams of the distribution schemes.

Ron
#8992 04/12/02 11:45 AM
R
Ron Offline
A Jockey pump is a booster pump that keeps the pressure up, without having to run the larger, more inefficient fire pump.

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 04-12-2002).]

Ron
#8993 04/12/02 07:32 PM
G
Cindy,

Great topic here!

We just picked up a nursing home project that will be built over the next 12 months. This will be my first project with a fire pump install so I'm interested in anything that you learn.

GJ

#8994 04/13/02 06:23 PM
N
If you study artice 695 with the idea that the fire pump is to run no matter what, you will understand those poorly drawn diagrams.
You can tap the fire pump conductors ahead of the fire pump controller to power the jockey pump. Any thing else (ie lights and outlets) in the pump/sprinker room is served from a different source.
We have always had several inspectors looking at fire pump install- at least one will want something not on the drawings.
recomend you look at NFPA 20 before you start work.

good luck

ed

Link Copied to Clipboard