ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 210 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#89878 10/22/04 02:07 PM
M
Hi,
Any tips on connecting a 400A Generator for temporary power?

I appreciate any replies.

-regards

Mustang

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#89879 10/26/04 06:44 PM
T
If the set up will be temporary I would tie the generator into the Service Disconnecting means load side wiring if possible. This presumes that the generator has a main breaker that will serve in place of the Service Disconnecting Means. It also presumes that the service disconnecting means is a separate piece of equipment that is connected to the load by field installed wiring.

If, on the other hand, the service equipment is some sort of combined main breaker and panel equipment then you will need to use a double block and break technique to isolate the building from the utility power. If the building is supplied through a 400 ampere meter socket than you would open the service disconnect, pull the meter, blank off the meter socket and disconnect the meter load wiring from the service disconnecting means. You would then blind off the meter load wiring with insulating materials. That makes the line side terminals of the service disconnecting means available for connecting the generator to. Since meter sockets in the four hundred ampere size are often equipped with shunts you will have to secure the shunt in the open position. The same lever is often used to release the meter jaws and engage the shunt bypass. These have to be operated to the open position after having removed the meter. If the service is larger than four hundred amperes then removing the meter will not deenergize the service disconnecting means line side terminals. So check for voltage every step of the way.
--
Tom H

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
#89880 10/26/04 08:14 PM
M
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. You were right when you said it is a temporary one and the gen set has it's own OCPD and it also has a multi tap transformer to give several different voltage configurations.

We will tie the feeder from the gen set ocpd to a gutter that feeds several exisitng MB panels. we will use the existing ground rod to ground the system.

I am assuming no other path to ground is allow so as not to create a difference of potential on the gen set xfmr?

i have seen portable welders that if not grounded properly can be very dangerous.

no need to ground to building steel if the building is bonded through the first disconnect/panel to the gec?

thanks for the replies..

-regards

greg

Link Copied to Clipboard