ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 200 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#89755 10/18/04 02:19 PM
Y
Fire pump with Normal feed and Alternate source. A Stand By Generator.
Normal power Service Tapped ahead of other service run To a Disconnect SW. rated at Locked Rotor Current. Then to transfer sw. Then to mtr. Question if the Transfer Switch is a Fire Pump rated transfer Switch is the locked rotor current Disconnect Sw. required on the Normal service side or even on the load side.
Note (695.4b) Over current Device SHALL BE PERMITTED (as I read it Not required.
If as I read it Switch is NOT required Transfer Switch would be required to be located at Nearest point of entry like a service. Would like Some Imput on this please.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#89756 10/18/04 09:16 PM
E
e57 Offline
Do you have the Handbook version of the code? It has some more clear definition on your situation. But I would have to cut and paste whole thing for a clearer picture.

This is the commentary after 695.4, I hope this helps, as I'm not quite sure what exactly your question is.
Typically, the supply conductors of the power source are directly connected, without a disconnecting means or overcurrent protection, to the fire pump controller or combination fire pump controller and power transfer switch. However, a single disconnecting means is allowed, provided all the conditions in 695.4(B), Supervised Connection, are met.
In addition to the fire pump controller, where a separate service disconnect with overcurrent protection is provided for the fire pump circuit, the disconnecting means will be as follows:
(1) The overcurrent device is sized to carry the locked-rotor currents of all the fire pump motors.
(2) The fire pump disconnection means is located away from the other service disconnecting means. This disconnecting means is rated as service equipment and is lockable in the on position.
(3) The disconnect and controller is marked and placarded as described.
(4) The circuit is supervised in the closed position, in accordance with 695.4(B)(5).
Specifically, the size of the overcurrent protective device is the sum of the locked-rotor currents of all the permitted motors plus the sum of any other fire pump auxiliary loads.
Example
A fusible service disconnect switch supplies power to a 100-hp, 460-volt, 3-phase fire pump and to a 11/2-hp, 460-volt, 3-phase jockey pump. The fire pump feeder circuit will be installed in a raceway between the disconnecting means and fire pump controller. The raceway is considered outside of the building per 230.6. Using the requirements of Article 695, determine the sizes of the disconnecting means and overcurrent protection device.
And this from 695.3
Most important in 695.3(A)(2) is the requirement that a fire in one source not affect the reliability of another source. For example, if an emergency feeder were physically routed above the normal switchboard and a fire occurred in the normal switchboard, the reliability of the emergency feeder during the fire would be questionable. There are many other examples for such interruption scenarios. The requirements for fire protection of the fire pump supply conductors are located in 695.6(A) and (B)

As for controler and T-switch location see 695.12

Hope all of this helps..... From what I gather of the code, and commentary is that the conductors/conduit feeding the pump should be as fire/bomb proof as possible. The last one I did was some time ago and was all outside the building all together. Transfer switch, seperate gennie and pump all fenced in a shed together. (Seperate from the other gennies, which I thought odd at the time.)

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 10-18-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#89757 10/19/04 08:17 AM
Y
Yep
I have the Handbook . The question is Can a Firepump rated Transfer Switch be installed Directly off the power Co. feed without a Disconnect switch?The Code infers it can. Thus you would come off the Generator to the transfer switch and from the Power co to the transfer swith then from transfer swith to the fire Pump controller.

#89758 10/19/04 07:49 PM
E
e57 Offline
That is pretty much answered in the commentary after 695.4. No disco required. But if you did have one, it would have to be within all of the other stuff.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard