ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 377 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#89566 10/07/04 10:28 PM
N
We installed security lighting on a number of storage shed buildings. These are buildings consisting of individual storage areas (ex: 8 per building) The lighting circuit is taken from a main building underground and comes up at each building with the light fixture controlled by a photo cell. There is no wiring inside of the storage sheds except for one that has a receptacle. The local inspector wants two ground rods installed at each building. I cannot find any requirement for this in the code and I'm wondering if any of you out there can shed (no pun intended)a little light on this situation. I feel no ground rods would be required since there is only one circuit and none of the wiring is installed inside of the sheds.
Thanks in advance
Ron

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
The rule is 250.32(A), but it sounds like you meet the exception. If you need two circuits, use a multiwire branch circuit and call it one circuit, as discussed in 210.4

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
N
Thank you, Ryan. Your info was of great help. Not sure what you mean by using a multiwire branch circuit and call it one circuit. To me a multiwire branch circuit is two or more circuits which would require the ground rods at each building in which I would install the multiwire branch circuit.
Thanks again
Ron

E
e57 Offline
Exception: A grounding electrode at separate buildings or structures shall not be required where only one branch circuit supplies the building or structure and the branch circuit includes an equipment grounding conductor for grounding the conductive non–current-carrying parts of all equipment.
Sounds like you need a ground wire too, for that exception. But I see a multi-wire as one ciruit if they are a tied breaker, as well. Good luck, or it sounds like a a time to rent a 50lbs jack hammer, they drop rods fast!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
C
A multiwire branch circuit is considered a single circuit for this application. Read the last sentence in 225.30. Multi-pole breakers or handle ties on individual breakers are not required. If only one multiwire circuit supplies each building a grounding electrode is not required. A disconnect is required for each building (255.33).

Curt

Curt Swartz
R
Take a look at 210.4, where is says that a multiwire is permitted to be considered multiple circuits. If that is permitted, than by using the english language, the contrary is true as well...a multiwire branch circuit can be considered one circuit.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
I
If we look at the Article 100 definition of mutiwire branch circuit we see that it is defined as a circuit not circuits

Branch Circuit, Multiwire. A branch circuit that consists of two or more ungrounded conductors that have a voltage between them, and a grounded conductor that has equal voltage between it and each ungrounded conductor of the circuit and that is connected to the neutral or grounded conductor of the system.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
P
As Bob has noted, a multiwire branch circuit is just that 'a' branch circuit as per Art 100. There are other locations in the NEC that permit the use of a multiwire branch circuit as more than one circuit. Knowing these locations and how to understand them is a good benefit to understanding the NEC.
210.4 permits the use of a multiwire branch circuit as more than one - a good place we see this regularly is in kitchens for the small appliance branch circuits.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge

Link Copied to Clipboard