ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#89557 10/04/04 02:09 PM
G
I have about a dozen motion detectors around my house, inside and out. I have pretty much settled on the Heath 240 degree head, only because Home Depot will swap out a bad one for free.
I am getting ready to rework my lighting plan and I was wondering if anyone has had better luck with commercial grade units? The last one I bought died about as fast as the cheapos. I am in Florida and I think the sun kills them.
I am looking in the RAB catalog now.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
e57 Offline
A while back, like 10 years ago, a company I used to work for would not warrentee anything else but RAB. At the time they were going for $80-$100! EACH! The price has come down for them, but they are still a better quality device. However, if this for your own house, and price is not realy a major issue, and you would like it to look nice, (not a bunch of floods everywhere) look into "Wattstopper". That way you can use more decoritive fixtures and be more creative about how they operate. For instance, dimming them, or automating them into scene controls via Homeworks, or Graffic Eye controls. As well as not having to have the motion sensor at the fixture or up high, as some Wattstopper models allow more flexible placement than most other types. By using NO or NC contacts to trigger as system or relays.

Even if it's not your house, customers like the "Designed look", and are willing to pay for it if going for the high-end apperance.

http://www.wattstopper.com/

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
C
I have to agree with e57 on the use of wattstopper motion devices. A very good product. The company I work for uses them. We have very good results with them.

I personally have used the Rab motion sensors on my home and friends homes with very good results. Have not replaced one yet. Unlike the ones you are getting at Home Depot.

G
Thanks guys. I see some RAB products I like.
I got away from the 150w flood idea long ago. I have been just buying the bare Heath heads and hooking them up to lights my wife likes. We tend to go for lots of fixtures with small bulbs.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard