ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#89522 09/24/04 03:04 AM
A
aldav53 Offline OP
In the code book it states that a light has to be at least 8 feet above and 3 feet horizontly away from a bath tub. Can a chandelier be right above the bath tub if it is more than 8 feet? I've seen many recessed cans above a shower. This isn't real clear to me.

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#89523 09/24/04 08:24 AM
C
Article 410.4 (D) includes the following types of lighting fixtures amongst those not permitted with in the 3’ horizontal and 8’ vertical zone, for bathtubs and shower areas.
No parts of cord-connected luminaires (fixtures)
· hanging luminaires (fixtures)
· Lighting track,
· pendants
· ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans

Note that this section does not mention recessed fixtures or fan units.
Usually the recessed units installed in these areas are listed for damp locations with or with out GFCI protection (read the manufactures instructions), additionally the recessed fixtures are supplied with trims that enclose the interior energized parts, providing some protection from accidental contact. The list of fixtures mentioned in the paragraph generally do not provide such protection, and therefore are required to be guarded from accidental (while in the tub or shower) contact by vertical elevation or horizontal distance.

#89524 09/24/04 08:52 AM
G
I could add that the recessed fixtures used over the tub should have a Listed "shower trim" if you are using a glass type trim. I have written violations for using a standard glass lens trim with a foam rubber gasket when it should be the one with the neoprene (spelling) gasket. I would perfer to see this type of trim especially if they have a shower wand on the tub that could be directed at the light fixture. The area above the tub is so far only classified as a damp location and one could use an outdoor flood bulb and a step baffle trim I guess if they wanted to because the can is listed for a damp location. It's only the shower wand that makes me nervous.

George Little
#89525 09/24/04 11:26 AM
A
aldav53 Offline OP
So it sounds to me if its anything other than a recessed can with shower trim, the fixture has to be 8ft or more high and 3ft or more sideways (from the waters edge?). So even if over 8ft it still has to be the 3ft?

#89526 09/24/04 01:16 PM
C
There was language introduced to the 1996 NEC to include paddle fans in this section. The original proposal (don’t have that ROP at the time) was submitted by a wiring inspector and the concern was Paddle Fans (with lighting fixtures accessories) within reach of someone while in these locations (ouch!). The proposal was accepted but the 96 language excluded the term paddle and restricted all fans, recessed or pendant from the zone. It was corrected in 1999 by adding the word (paddle) type fans (hanging type).

I believe the zone is from the top of the tub rim, or the highest point in a shower stall.
The other types of fixtures were previously addressed in this section. The NEC likes 8’ above reach as a method of guarding (see 110.27 as one example).

If you have a handbook there is an illustration fig. 410.1 and some explanatory language to this section. Keep in mind that such examples in the handbook are not official interpretations, but I believe the information has merit. The handbook suggests that surface mounted (totally?)enclosed fixtures are permissible with in the zone and pendant type items listed in the paragraph would be acceptable if located 8’ above the rim of a tub( or the shower stall). If the fixtures or track do not penetrate the 8’ (hang below)they are out of the zone and need not consider the 3’ horizontal dimension.

Charlie

#89527 09/24/04 07:24 PM
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Yep, thats the way it looks to me from the 99 handbook code.
Thanks,

#89528 09/25/04 02:58 AM
S
Wall sconces are also allowed(not disallowed) to be closer than 3' horizontally and 8' vertically.

steve

Steve
#89529 09/25/04 08:28 AM
S
Surface fixtures and wall sconces are allowed if they are suitable for a wet location.Exhaust fans are also permitted but are usually required to be GFCI protected per instructions with the fan.

#89530 09/25/04 12:52 PM
S
Would you consider tub wall/ceiling as a "wet location"? I don't and I don't think the NEC description of "wet location" would support it being classified as wet. I'm talking about a bathtub with no shower and not the wall surface immediately above the rim of the tub.

steve

Steve
#89531 09/26/04 08:10 AM
S
I think the walls around a tub are a wet location.When my kids take a bath in the cuzi tub, somehow water is splashed all over the place...must be the cannonballs my son does from the tub rim [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard