ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 273 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#89496 09/17/04 12:36 AM
M
MikeP Offline OP
Hello: This is my first time to join and to post a concern I dont know the answer I have tried to find the answer but the NEC is hard to read for a novice like me when it comes to electricity.

I am a safety assistant for a company and I primarily do all the safety inspection and here lately I have come across some issues with electrical panels that I would most apprecite some clarification.

I understand that if it is 600 watts or less it is required a minimun of a 3 foot clearance to the panel.
Here is my question.
If a electrical panel is approximately 5 feet off the floor and there is a trash can in front of it (againt the wall) or a small cabinet and it is not hindering the opening or closing of the panel door is this alright to have?

I would like to find out before I go and put my foot in my mouth as there is always someone at my work that thinks they "know it all' and I need documentation to back it up.

I have completed the OSHA 601 course for the basics and also will be attending several other classes in the near future to broaden my knowledge.

Any comments would be most appreciated!!

Thanks
Mike

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#89497 09/17/04 06:41 AM
G
Mike,
Negative, 110-26 requires a 3' clearance from floor to ceiling. Technically there is nothing allowed in front of the panel.

A trash can is not the most heinous violation being of a temporary nature however.

Timely question since I just wrote an e-mail to 80 schools reminding them to have ALL the junk removed from in front of their panels. I had an employee removing stationary from in front of one Tuesday who fell over some boxes and injured his wrist.

It is a prevalent problem in the industry, but I find the stationary a real heart burn because it's also flammable in case that panel arcs.

BTW - WELCOME to the forum [Linked Image]

George

#89498 09/17/04 05:28 PM
G
Floor to ceiling is not always true. It would be more accurate to say working space extends from the floor up to 6.5 feet feet or the height of the equipment, whichever is greater. After that we have dedicated space that is equal to the width and depth of the equipment extending up 6 feet or to the ceiling, whichever is lower. 110.26(E) and (F)(1)

George Little
#89499 09/17/04 08:58 PM
Tom Offline
Mike,

Welcome!

The depth of the working space is pretty well coverd by the Georges. There is also a minimum width of 30" or the width of the equipment, whichever is wider. The equipment does not have to be centered in the space.

The best description I've heard of the required working space is,picture the cardboard box that a refrigerator is shipped in, that is about the right size except for the height.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#89500 09/18/04 12:10 AM
M
MikeP Offline OP
Thank you for all your help it is very much appreciated
Mike

#89501 09/25/04 06:04 PM
H
What was that old saying? Picture a refrigerator packing carton in front of the electrical panel. If you can place it there, then you have the proper spacing. The Refrig box was approx. 6 feet tall, 30" from left to right and 36" from front to back. Or something like that.

#89502 09/26/04 09:01 AM
P
110.26(B) Clear Spaces.
Working space required by this section shall not be used for storage.

pretty simple - easy to find this violation [Linked Image]

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#89503 09/26/04 09:27 AM
D
I recently installed a service for a commercial condo. The tenant's employees piled 5 gallon cans of flammable liquids in front of the panel. I thought it was important enough to mention.

Dave

#89504 09/27/04 07:32 PM
T
The storage of flammables adjacent to an electrical panel will result in a burn down of the equipment when what should have been a minor nuisance fire cause the feeder's insulation to fail.
--
Tom H

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison

Link Copied to Clipboard