ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#88944 08/17/04 06:36 AM
R
Pierre,
Roger
If the 'accessible' is not recognizable, is it accessible? [Linked Image]
absolutely, it's just not obvious.

I still haven't seen an article or any wording pointed out, that says an access must be identified or relatively easy to achieve.

I think it's a good idea and an inspector should suggest it, but I still don't see how it could be red tagged.

Let's say I mark the access, but then install "Tamper Proof" screws in the boxes that uses a tool of a type that 99% of electricians don't carry or even own. We have just used these screws on a juvenile detention facility and used them in some boxes that the 8/32's have fallen out of. How would you handle this?

BTW, the last paragraph would be a cause for Justifiable Murder if I had crawled face down in insulation only to find this was the case. [Linked Image]

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 08-17-2004).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#88945 08/17/04 10:10 AM
R
Roger,
If it is covered by part of the normally expected building finish and not identified as a removable panel, then in my opinion it is not acessible, because it is "permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building".
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#88946 08/17/04 11:12 AM
R
Don,
then in my opinion it is not acessible, because it is "permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building".
here lies the problem, opinions, and mine is the opposite.

I don't agree that a screw or a panel with a finger pull substantiates "permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building" even if it takes some serious hunting.

If it were necessary to damage the finish or membrane when removed, then I am definitely in agreement, but since this is not the case, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. [Linked Image]

Roger

#88947 08/17/04 03:08 PM
G
You guys are getting too picky.

The NEC is there to resolve conflicts. If the contractor and the AHJ agree on access, all is good.

If not, go to court and have a judge decide (or have a fist fight).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard