ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 263 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#88789 07/27/04 08:29 AM
R
I`m changing out a older service panel. I`m planning on installing a outdoor 200amp panel and droping from the bottom of the panel with 2- 2"LB`s for the wiring they will go through the brick work under the house at that point the pipe will be cut off and the wiring going to there circuits.Didn`t I read somewhere the wires must be connected to the box and this wasn`t allowed anymore? If this is the case someone please steer me in the right direction.Also where do I find the conduit fill for a sheathed cable vs regular fill?

This is a very very old house the inside walls aren`t 3 1/2 " deep or I`d be putting the panel indide they laid 2x4`s side ways and has boards on both sides.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#88790 07/27/04 01:27 PM
G
With "fill" you are going to add up fast. You use the dimension of the cable as it's widest point as a diameter, then compute based on a circle that size. A 12/2 Romex "fills" about the same as a #1 or #2 THHN (9-13 in a 2" PVC)
The other problem is derating. Once you get over 4 Romex in that pipe you will start eating up your ampacity, beyond the hit from 240.4(D)

Greg Fretwell
#88791 07/27/04 01:47 PM
E
Check out Chapter 9, Table 1, Notes to Tables (9), on page 617, for conduit fill.
Check out 300.15(C) for sleeving.
334.30 requires NM to be stapled within 12 inches of every cabinet, box or fitting.

I asked for clarification from Jeff Sargent of NFPA at a seminar earlier this year. He stated we should either install a cable clamp at the end of the conduit, or to bush the end and extend the sheathing at least 1/4 inch into the enclosure (box). If we choose the bushed option, the staples need to be within 8 inches of the end of the conduit.

Earl
#88792 07/27/04 04:24 PM
R
Would this be like a nipple as far as the fill? I really shouldn`t have lots of circuits but we all know how that goes. The LB`s will come directly out of the panel just enough pipe to glue the male adapter then the bricks are only brick thick not block veneered as new homes and the pipe will extend only 10" or so.

Thanks for the advice and artical numbers.Sometimes when you`re working its hard to take time to actually sit and read or find all the code issues.I really see where the continueing ed is important.

#88793 07/27/04 07:13 PM
C
First I would attempt to install the panel interior, the outdoor enclosure has to be more expensive.

Second I assume you are routing the cables to the circuits once your in the building, rather than terminate the two sleeves at the old panel inside.

Third I would look at 312.5 (c) but that permissive language only applies to cables at the top of the panel

[This message has been edited by cpal (edited 07-27-2004).]

#88794 07/27/04 11:36 PM
G
If you can establish it is less than 24" this is a nipple (65% fill, no derating).
Can you LB through the wall and directly into a gutter? Then you could punch holes and use Romex connectors from there.

Greg Fretwell
#88795 07/28/04 09:00 AM
R
Thats it 312.5c thats what has me worried? Now does this mean I can`t wire this the way I planned?Maybe I`ll see the AJH if possible before we start.It`s out of town so I don`t really know them at all.Matter of fact the home owner was picking up and paid for all the permits.The old panel is a mess and is In the kitchen cabinet it has 3 fuses and 1 220 pull out set whitch is wired to stove, h2o heater, and a a/c unit I wander why the 30 amp fuses keep blowing the guy ask.....I`m looking at 312.5c Man I see no way around it. Unless I turn the panel upside down and then I`ll be coming out of the top with the pipe....Just kidding.I really wish this could be changed.

#88796 07/28/04 04:42 PM
C
If I were you I'd run!!!!

I still do not understand how you intend to pick up the existing branch circuits from the new loadcenter.

I also agree that what is good for the top of the panel should be good for the bottom, side, and back etc.

But I also agree that the language as written is not in your favor.

Realistically what you propose doing has been done for a long time without a history of failure.But that does not make a Code compliant installation. That permissive exception appeared in the 1999 NEC.

If you intend to use the existing load center as a junction box and if the enclosure satisfies the requirements of 314.16 thru 314.28 etc. then I would strongly consider a complete raceway (ridged or flexible) to the old load center and forget the cables.

I'll check later to see if you re-post

charlie p

#88797 07/29/04 08:16 AM
R
No Sir I`m planning on totally rewiring the house everything must go including the existing load center and all branch circuits.I`ve put a call in to the Inspector but haven`t heard from him/Her. My co-worker says we should change the service wire the existing load center to 60 amp breaker in panel out side and once inspection complete go back and rewire the house as planned But thats not the proper thing to do.But I must admit its a thought.I`m hoping the inspector will come through can`t they make a waver or is this in ya`lls opinion something they wouldn`t let me do because of code rules.

#88798 07/29/04 03:05 PM
S
You mentioned that you can't fit a flush panel inside because of the flat studs. Can you put a surface mounted board in there, or even inset a surface board partway between the studs? Then you wouldn't have to deal with trying to run everything though LBs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard