ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ComputerWizKid), 331 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#88799 08/20/04 12:50 PM
T
There are panels available that are meant to have wire access on the inside of the structure with the breakers on the outside.

Alternatively you could nipple into a J Box in the crawl space, install barrier strips in the J box, and run your cable from there. Using the barrier strips makes it a neater job and avoids the rat's nest effect of using wire nuts.
--
Tom Horne

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#88800 08/22/04 08:35 AM
P
312.5(C) Exception(a)- says you can fasten the NM cable within 12 inches of the raceway.

Installations that are installed 'after' the inspection, so you can pass an inspection are in my opinion a crime, especially when you are aware of the violation.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#88801 08/23/04 01:11 PM
G
Reel-Break ---

The NEC does not address all issues. In particular, since NM cables are not usually run in conduit and then into boxes, the code is silent on correct methods of fastening cables in your instance.

I often run 4 6-3 subpanel cables into main panels. I put a 2-1/2" piece of conduit into the main. Then I run the 6-3s and whatever other large cables I have into the 3" conduit and on into the main panel. The cables are fastened together outside of the conduit with zip ties.

This is sufficient to meet the intent of the code: to protect the NM cable outside of a box by ensuring that the sheath terminates inside of a box.

#88802 08/24/04 08:29 AM
R
Hey someone better read all of 312.5c it says in the exceptions that nm sheathed cables must meet all the following conditions a-g....and b states that the raceway extends above the encloseure..So I called NC state board and they contend that no way can you have a race way under a panel with the wires not secured to the cabinet,meter socket or cutout box.George I don`t see how it passes 312.5c I hate it but I have had to change my wiring practices.It makes no sense to me.

#88803 08/24/04 02:51 PM
G
Reel-Break ---

The NEC does not address all issues.

Referring to the ICC electrical section:

"Maximum support distance from box" is the term used. Staples are not needed.

Work out something with your AHJ.

#88804 08/24/04 08:22 PM
S
Reel-Break...I would have to agree with cpal and install the panel in the dwelling.If your rewiring the house then redesign the location of the panel in the building somewhere...maybe relocate the service to another side of the house or put the main in the meter outside and put a sub-panel IN the house somewhere...maybe in the utility room with the heating equipment.Also staples are not the only way to support romex.See 334.30 commentary in the hardback says that wires installed through bored holes are considered supported.

#88805 08/25/04 08:48 AM
R
Yea I tried to work out something but he wouldn`t budge.So I changed the service put a 200a meter main outside left the old stuff in the kitchen cabinet and pulled the 240 loads out side ran a wire for the micro wave and added couple small appliance circuits so it kinda worked out.But the ajh maintains that 312.5c You cannot place a raceway under a panel and run NM cables and not have them secured to the box. So to do this you`d have to place a troff or big JB under house fasten all cables to it then you could run up to panel.But he say`s in no way can you stub up under a panel run nm cables and just staple them 12" from pipe openning.HE agrees it makes no sense to him but he has to uphold the law of the land. OK guess it`s time to move on Thanks for the feed back everyone.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard