ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#88761 07/21/04 08:46 PM
E
Is there a limit on the number of receptacles that can be protected downstream of each GFCI receptacle?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Well in commercial work you are restricted to the number of outlets that can be installed on a 15 or 20 amp branch circuit, each outlet counts as 180 voltamps. In residential there is no limit except for the 3 watts per square foot. Each branch circuit should be of sufficient size to carry the load to be served.

E
Yes, that's my understanding but a friend of mine got a "homeowners wiring guide" from the big orange house and he showed me a passage stating that a GFCI receptacle can only protect 4 additional downstream receptacles. I never heard this before and was just wondering if there was a code requirement I missed somewhere along the way.

S
(Residential)It's not a code issue, other than if it's in the manufacturer's instructions. I use to think there was a limit of 6 downstream receptacles, but the NEC doesn't state this nor have I found anything in any GFI manufacturer's instructions limiting the downstream number.

steve

Steve
E
e57 Offline
One must check the destructions...
Some are 4, some are 5.

Oyr local code is 5!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
G
I can't imagine what the justification could possibly be for a limit on the number of downstream receptacles. In the commercial world you have a restriction on the total number on a branch circuit (the 180va deal) but that doesn't address whether they are upstream or downstream of a GFCI. Beyond that it only depends on the feedthrough ampacity of the GFCI. You can exceed that with one duplex as easily as 10. (2 hair dryers or toasters?)
The only other thing I can possibly think of is the "antenna effect" of a long conductor (false trips) but again, that can just be one receptacle way out in the yard.

Greg Fretwell
e57,

How can that be a local code? Amendments like that aren't supposed to be allowed to the CEC by municipalities. ??

E
e57 Offline
electure,
can't find it now... They may have pulled it?

Although they still ask, "No More than five?" - "Yep, no more than five" (On feed thrus) I was asked that two weeks ago.

SF did have to go to court over some of thier wackier codes, that went far beyond the rest of the state. After you check the NEC, you have to go check here to see what they might have added or changed.
http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isap...nfran.nfo&softpage=browse_frame_pg42

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
T
I have always found that 5 was the magic number for D.S. anymore than that and I had a lot of nuisance tripping.

Link Copied to Clipboard