ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#88671 07/06/04 05:00 PM
R
John: Since the raceway and the EGC will be bonded (directly or indirectly) at each end, you basically have the pipe and the EGC in parallel with each other, creater a lower impedance EGC.

For example: You could install 3" IMC with 350's and a 1/0 for 540 feet and still get a 4800 amp fault.

If you had 3" PVC with 350's and a 3/0 EGC and were trying to get a 4800 amp fault, you could only go 131 feet.

These numbers are assuming a fault of 4 times the rating of the OCPD to initiate the OCPD under ground fault.

I think that is why there is a note to table 250.122 that tells you that following the table values doesn't allways achieve compliance with 250.4(A)(5).

A also don't think this type of allowance is really stretching the code, since 250.4 is main requirement of article 250, and 250.4 is in fact a performance based requirement, not a prescriptive one. That tells me that the AHJ should be on his/her "A" game when sizing EGC's.

[This message has been edited by Ryan_J (edited 07-06-2004).]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#88672 07/07/04 06:52 AM
W
Ryan,

I am in agreement on the general point of calculating the fault current to see if it is sufficient, and presumably calculating the energy delivered to the conductors in a fault situation to make sure that the OCPD protected the conductors. However I believe that the point of this exercise is to size the _parallel_ EGCs so that they correctly function even when _not_ effectively in parallel.

In the example situation that started this thread, 4 parallel 1/0 conductors were used as the EGC for a 1200A panel. Table 250.122 calls for a single 3/0 conductor. The total cross section of the parallel 1/0 conductors is in excess of 2.5x the cross section of the 3/0 conductor; so _taken as a set_ the 4 1/0 conductors are clearly a better EGC than the single 3/0 conductor. Clearly then, the issue is 'What happens when these conductors are _not_ effectively in parallel?'

The situation that I was suggesting requires separate calculation is as follows:

Equipment ground bonded at _both_ ends of the metallic raceway.

Phase to ground fault _inside_ of the raceway.

Now you cannot consider the two conductors to be in parallel, but would instead have to consider the following two paths in parallel: the 'short' path through the EGC to the supply end of the raceway, and the 'long' path through the EGC to the load end of the raceway, and then back through the raceway to the supply end.

-Jon

#88673 07/09/04 09:20 AM
B
bjwill Offline OP
Ryan_J, I believe the total lenght of this circuit is roughly 300 FT. The EC lead man is saying that 1/0 is fine and they could have gone with a smaller EGC. I think he's using 250-66, but that art. is for sizing the grounding electrode conductor, is there any way someone could use this table to size the equipment grounding conductor. Beside they are two different conductors. Does anyone believe this may be the case. I believe 3/0 is what is needed according to 250-122, can anyone disagree with that. Or how should I go about letting them know how they should size an equipment grounding conductor?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard