ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (HotLine1, Scott35), 233 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#88629 07/03/04 02:04 AM
P
You could call it a wire cap. I had a college engineering project where we had to call things by specific names (Photovoltaics instead of solar panels) and if we called it anything else, we were docked points. I called the current leakage protector a "GFCI" and I was docked points because my prof. said it was called a "GFI." I thought this was bad, but this engineer has me beat!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#88630 07/03/04 11:37 AM
H
In my experience most job specs are an error filled joke, 90% being boiler plate stuff that gets cycled from job to job...

Tell me about it. I get specs that call for a 20 year warranty on CAT 5e data wiring! To who, the guy who owns the dump??

-Hal

#88631 07/03/04 08:26 PM
E
e57 Offline
Those look like like Wago connectors. But if you "Pre-twist" the wires, how do you insert them?
http://www.wago.com/web/us/pdf/wall.pdf

Thats what I was thinking of, couldn't remember the name of the company. But maybe they meant twist the strands before inserting? (Although, appantly not require for this product any longer...) Not all together.. Only thing non-wire nut I can think of..... Has steel spring, don't know about this plating or other non-sense, you got me.

But, yes, I'm sure we can all go on forever bagging on screwy plans and spec's. I've also seen my share of plans that look like cartoons, and equally animated spec's. The worst is when you get someone that, in order to save face, will try to justify thier faux pas. Then you have to beat it out of them to complete the job.

A while back, an Arch. on this one project had every trade lined up for hours clarifying his "design". He got so wigged out, he hopped in his car, backed into a pole really hard, (Made like it didn't happen!) and bolted!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#88632 07/03/04 10:08 PM
B
Uh, folks—here’s a not-so-dirty little secret. CSI-type specs are not much of a secret these days. Many institutional and governmental projects post their {division 16, in our trade} specifications wholesale on the internet.

Dogpile/Yahoo/Google “16470” as an example—a fair number of hits are CSI boilerplate for panelboards—most all in .doc/.pdf/.html, ready to go. To me, this provides little excuse for bonehead a&e folks handing out and charging a mint for crappy specs in a fair portion of electrical-design work for buildings.

I think the pathetic, mealy-mouthed “specification” is a terribly reworded version out of something like a 3M “Scotchlok” Y/R/G/B-connector brochure. [“Wirenut” is a registered trademark of Ideal Industries.]

#88633 07/03/04 10:36 PM
I think Bjarney's on to something here... Scotchlocks are also called "Spring-Nuts"... Is there a point to specifying Spring-nuts? Or maybe they just want to keep the overseas generic crap out of the job.... Would've been a hella lot easier to just say that [Linked Image]

I've had EE's do everything from asking for things that would be NEC violations to spec'ing out manufacturers that are long out of existance... (Sierra was one...)

-Randy

#88634 07/06/04 08:56 AM
S
Yes, I have been guilty of specs with obsolete parts and other mistakes in them. I hope that when you get on one of my jobs that you call me and complain (called constructive critisism by some). Mistakes make everybodies job miserable, are inevitable occasionally, and can be minimized. Sloppiness does not belong anywhere given the fact that even a pig will keep a clean pen if allowed (of course chickens don't count).

Shane

#88635 07/06/04 06:33 PM
Kenny:
A while ago......had to use a 'Buchanan' item, two parts. Copper 'cap' that you crimped over a twisted splice, and an insulating 'clear plastic boot' that slipped over the crimp. (Hopefully, I remember that correctly)

Could this be your mystery item??? I hope not! Sounds to me like you are looking for a splice cap, commonly called a "WIRENUT"

John

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard