ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
wa2ise Offline OP
Saw at the orange box some light fixtures (marketed by Westinghouse, made in Taiwan) that enclose the light bulb inside a glass globe, and also have a pull chain power switch. As I have heard, the bare light bulb pull chain fixtures are no longer acceptable for use in closets (seems that fires have happened when a box or something on a shelf falls off a little and ends up resting against the 100 watt bulb that was left on). But the globe should prevent that, also prevent broken light bulb fragments from getting all over the clothes. I've seen new closets with such fixtures controlled by light switches mounted in the wall just outside the closet. But is it acceptable to use the enclosed fixtures that come with a pull chain to replace the bare bulb pull chain fixtures?

Bob

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 06-28-2004).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Tom Offline
Yes, pull chain fixtures are acceptable if the lamp is enclosed, but this is just one of the requirements for fixtures in a closet.

The real problem with lights in closets is that many closets are not big enough to provide the proper clearances.

Someone with better typing skills can give you all the clearance measurements, or try looking at 410.8 in the 2002 NEC.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
E
Bob,

Part of the answer to your question will also come from local ordinance. I infer from your question that the closet luminaire with the bare bulb is installed in an existing dwelling. The NEC only covers new wiring, and doesn't directly apply.

In my part of the country, I'll see the bare bulb fixture installed in closets of homes built in the Sixties and before. Local ordinance requires that any such closet light be at minimum replaced with a fish bowl enclosed surface mounted luminaire (in most cases, the luminaire you saw at the orange box is perfect). However, the requirement to replace the bare bulb unit is only required when the service center is replaced or increased in ampacity.

Bottom line. . .I'm certain I'll be installing that pullchain fish bowl, a few at a time, until I die.

Al Hildenbrand
However, the requirement to replace the bare bulb unit is only required when the service center is replaced or increased in ampacity.
Al,

You have to replace Bare-Bulb Closet Fixtures when you do a Service Change or Panelboard replacement?

If so, what else do you have to do?

Bill

Bill
R
I agree with the the previous replies regarding the legality of the fixture you're thinking of using.
Have you considered installing an under cabinet style fluorescent light directly above the door on the wall/header.
It really adds a margin of safety and usually gets you much better lighting,especially in tight quarters.

D
Have also seen folks told by AHJ to use the "compact flourescent" replacement lamp assemblies to comply with the "no bare incandescent lamps" portion of the Code.

E
Bill,

Minneapolis and St. Paul have two seperate descriptions. They are very similar. The Minneapolis version is reprinted here . Basically, the highlights are
  • Two duplex receptacles per room,
  • grounded convienence receptacle in the bath,
  • grounding of conductive electrical surfaces in the bath and elsewhere where within 5' horizontally and 8' vertically of another grounded surface,
  • 20 amp circuit to the kitchen to at least one outlet,
  • 20 amp laundry circuit if there is a laundry,
  • hazardous wiring removed or repaired.

Al Hildenbrand
Wow!

[Linked Image] Much different from here.
Where I am a Service Change or Upgrade doesn't dictate changing anything else at all.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard