ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#88566 06/26/04 12:43 PM
R
Hey are we wrong.. put up service to home overhead near drive way the drip loop is exactly 12.5 feet from ground level Small town inspector says it has to raised for the estimated droop of the incoming sevice from poco???? Is that our problem to worry with?I never heard that one before.His thing is it will be less than 12 over the drive way and it most likely will???

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#88567 06/26/04 12:54 PM
I
230.26 Tells us the height of the point of attachment shall provide the minimum clearances as specified in 230.24.

230.24(B)(2) requires 12 feet of vertical clearance above a residential driveway.

I do not think you can expect the power company to pull the drop so tight that it has less than 6" of sag.

Also 6" of sag in the winter will be more that 6" of sag in the summer.

IMO the inspector is correct you must raise your point of attachment.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#88568 06/27/04 07:13 AM
R
Then be sure to raise the weatherhead above the point of attachment.

#88569 06/27/04 08:07 AM
E
Rick that applies to se cable only. 230.54 (C) If this is a piped service the poco can just attach higher.

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 06-27-2004).]

#88570 06/27/04 09:32 AM
D
To paraphrase Article 80...inspectors rule & electricians drool. In 20 years I've only had one seriously unqualified inspector. I did what he wanted, charged the customer (who refused to pay), liened the property, customer went bankrupt, I lost my lien & about $1,000. Enough people complained about the inspector that his contract wasn't renewed. Otherwise, sometimes I know more about the code & sometimes the inspector does. If they do, I'm glad to learn more & if I know more I don't throw it in their face.

A small consideration not mentioned in the code is that my payment usually depends on passing the inspection. It's always been easier to do what the inspector wants than argue. Even if you're right it could come back to bite you...say there's a rule about the distance between the meter & the panel and you are 1" over. An inspector could make you pull the meter socket & install a disconnect type. Sound expensive & time consuming? It's always a good idea to call the department with questions before the installation. Sometimes I call & ask what code they're on, & what they look for in grounding. Sometimes after a couple questions they'll let you know specifically what they look for.

On your question, you do have to allow for some slack in the overhead span. On one occasion the POCO put so much slack in the wires that it created a violation. I called & asked them to tighten it up a bit. It sounds like you made it a little too close. There are a variety of supports available to raise the point of attachment.

Dave

#88571 06/27/04 05:53 PM
P
Scott
That may be a semantics issue in 230.54(C), as I believe the intent for a service head is supposed to be at or above the point of attachment at all times in new installations. But it is very sharp of you to pick up that it does mentions service cables.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#88572 06/27/04 10:35 PM
G
usually th epower company will supply a measured darwing of what they want.

If the power company supplied their drawing (as they do here) and it showed 12'-6", you can be sure that they will keep their wire above 12'.

#88573 06/28/04 12:41 PM
It is interesting to note that the NESC requires 16 feet of clearance under the worst of conditions (winter with ice load or on the hottest summer day at the expected maximum load on the conductors). If this is a residential driveway and a triplexed service drop, the height may be reduced to 12.5 feet if the height of the building doesn't permit 16 feet of clearance. [Linked Image]

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
#88574 06/28/04 02:42 PM
R
Hey guys this is a service change. If it were a new service the poco would just set another pole I assume to keep the cable from droping over drive way.So you guys are saying that I may need to raise my SE drip loop to 20'that just seems so unnessesary.If the cable coming in is the problem why wouldn`t the poco be required to raise the cable not me raise the drip loop.By the way I`m not argueing with the inspector I`m disagreeing with him.You know when two people have different opinions on the same subject not always a bad thing if done respectfully by both people.I have respect for his job...but in this case a service done 25 yrs ago and the fact is this pole is to far away from the house and the point of attactment from poco should be raised not my weatherhead location or they should spot another pole and solve the problem.He did agree to give me temp service until I figure a fix.Meeting with engineer from poco

#88575 06/28/04 03:11 PM
R
Reel-Break, notice what Charlie said, and he is a POCO man.

I agree with you that the drop should be their responsibility and the 12' "min" is an NESC requirement also.

Go to example 5 on this page from electrician.com
http://www.electrician.com/articles/lhpage5.html

Roger

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard