ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 183 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#88502 06/13/04 10:46 PM
N
Joe
That is required on some of the larger jobs here. It is part of the plan approval process. If this was done and the plans show an approval for this way and no other permitted then the AHJ has something to say about it. The permit was issued for work to be done a given way and not doing it that way is a violation of the permit.
The plans and specs are still the owners to enforce. The AHJ can only enforce the legally adopted code. He/she is not in a position to use his authority to enforce contract requirements.

ed
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#88503 06/14/04 08:14 AM
Y
Submittals
Question what if the contractor submits on items other then called for in the Spec.s . I feel its not up to the inspector if they meet code to bring it up? To do a complete job you would have to go thru the specs. and compare items with whats been submitted.Then there could be e-mail or side letters approveing other then in specs between the owner or project mananger(example Light fixture types ,time clocks,ect . How would all this be handled???

#88504 06/14/04 01:40 PM
T
It is true that only the codes adopted by your town/county/state will be law. Most places have adopted the ICC family of model codes, which reference the NEC for electrical.

Earl

Earl
On what do you base this assertion? Adoption of the ICC codes would appear to be far from universal and even most, as in more than fifty percent of jurisdictions, would surprise me.
--
Tom H

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
#88505 06/14/04 05:35 PM
R
[Linked Image from iccsafe.org]

The green states have I codes adopted. I would say that it is more than 50%

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#88506 06/14/04 05:57 PM
E
The state of Utah has established rules which govern the licensure and responsibilities of inspectors. In those rules some items are listed that constitute "unprofessional conduct" by inspectors. Item 10 in that list is:
(10) approval of work which materially varies from approved documents that have been stamped by an architect, professional engineer or both unless authorized by the licensed architect, professional engineer or both
I believe it would be unprofessional conduct in the state of Utah to approve a job done in romex if the engineer had specified conduit, even though it might meet code. I wonder if other states or jurisdictions might have similar laws or rules?

[This message has been edited by eprice (edited 06-14-2004).]

#88507 06/14/04 06:08 PM
G
eprice ---

I appreciate your comments on conduct. I also appreciate Don's comments.

I think it is up to the local juristiction, AHJ, government, and prosecutor (and I would include the local licensed people) to decide how formal the process of ammending plans has to be.

Don clearly has a very liberal view. I have a conservative view. We should all try to find something that functions well rather than hinders one side or the other.

#88508 06/14/04 07:17 PM
C
ccdave Offline OP
I printed your replys and have been in meetings all day about this---
Thanks everyone for your thoughts--dave

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard