ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
I am currently doing a highschool which has an expansion joint between 2 buildings. Does this mean that every piece of conduit that passes down that hallway will require an expansion type fitting at the joint? The expansion joint falls in the middle of a corridor with a large rack of feeder conduits(2 inch to 4 inch) along with racks of smaller conduit with lighting and receptacle loads. Would the fittings be required only where conduits are physically strapped to both sides of the joint in the building? Is a rack a different demon? Wouldn't all trades be affected? Corridor already had 6 inch sprinkler main, ducts, plumbing? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Ron Offline
The paragraphs that I find are not well known for an underground installation is compliance with 300.5(G)&(J) and 300.7 when the raceway enters the building.

300.5 Underground Installations
(G) Raceway Seals. Conduits or raceways through which moisture may contact energized live parts shall be sealed or plugged at either or both ends.

(J) Ground Movement. Where direct-buried conductors, raceways, or cables are subject to movement by settlement or frost, direct-buried conductors, raceways, or cables shall be arranged to prevent damage to the enclosed conductors or to equipment connected to the raceways.

300.7 Raceways Exposed to Different Temperatures.
(A) Sealing. Where portions of a cable raceway or sleeve are known to be subjected to different temperatures and where condensation is known to be a problem, as in cold storage areas of buildings or where passing from the interior to the exterior of a building, the raceway or sleeve shall be filled with an approved material to prevent the circulation of warm air to a colder section of the raceway or sleeve. An explosionproof seal shall not be required for this purpose.

Ron
R
Ron Offline
elektrikguy,
I do not think it is a code requirement to place an expansion fitting for all raceway crossing an expansion joint in the building. I do think it is a design issue and part of most good written specifications that would come with a project.

Ron
E
Thanks for the response guys.The question came up at the end of the work day so I did not have time to check the specs. I thought I would pose the question here due to the interesting nature of the dilemma. When I search around the code book I am finding most refences pertaining to temperature changes. When I lived and worked up in Canada I installed pvc expansion couplings alot due to extreme temperature changes and subsequent shifting of buildings. I have never installed any above groung in a building. Will check first thing in the morning.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard