ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 331 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
The use of that exception is actually important to some installations. I have done a fair number of rural electrical installs for homes that have a well for their water supply. I always try to mount the service equipment off of the home as either a free standing service backboard or on a small expendable outbuilding. I avoid the use of a single breaker as the service disconnecting means for these installations so that a single fault in some other portion of the wiring is unlikely to deprive the well pump of power. This is usually more cost effective than using the exception to 230.72 that would allow a completely separate disconnect for the pump power. The exception to 230.72 only works when the well has a pump house or other out building quite close to it. In the absence of a separate building the power company usually wants a pole set to terminate the separate drop to. By building a free standing back board I avoid subjecting the customer to meter reading fees for a second meter and by installing an underground service I avoid the cost of setting a pole.
--
Tom Horne

[This message has been edited by tdhorne (edited 06-07-2004).]

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
iwire Well thanks for the response everyone, I have a follow up question.

I go to a house that has a 100 amp service that is in excellent shape, the load is OK but I do not have enough spaces for all the circuits. Example 1) Why can't I just change the panel to a 200 amp 42 circuit panel leaving the 100 amp service conductors?
If you used an MLO panel with a back fed 100 ampere breaker, disconnect tie down, and a valid load calculation then it would be code compliant.

Example 2) By using 230.90(A)(1)Exception No. 3 I could leave the existing 100 amp panel and add one right beside it.
Once again if the load calculation is valid then where's the hazard?

I do not understand the logic here?

How is example 2 any safer than example 1
I'm not unsympathetic to your concern. Perhaps the submission of language to require each disconnect to have no larger ampacity than the load it serves would require would partially address your concern.

Thanks, Bob
--
Tom Horne

[This message has been edited by tdhorne (edited 06-07-2004).]

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard