ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 228 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Alright - despite my earlier post [Linked Image] - I don't think I'd feel right without one of the following, whether "required" by Code or not:

1) A single disconnecting means for the entire building

OR

2) A single disconnect for each of the occupancies, whether on the meters or at each individual panel

OR (preferably, although more expensive)

3)Both of the above.

Where we are reaching a sticking point is the definition of "service" - whether Code intends to address the structure (yes) or the individual dwelling occupancy (the single apartments)(yes).

If I were the AHJ, I think that the lack of at least #2 above (a main on each panel for each unit) would be grounds for a "recommendation" to bring it into compliance. If it was for a =>50% remodel, I'd insist on it.

Glad it's getting reworked, no matter how "legal" it is.

Nods to E57 for 230.71(A)

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
e57 Offline
As for my eloquance..... I can't, take credit, My Fiance wrote that! No, I cut and pasted it out of the handbook version of the code. Which my opinion is that they skip printing the regular version all together, and print all of the commentary from the handbook as the code itself. It has diagrams of what they want in most code sections, and it really clears things up.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E57:
Another honest man surfaces, OK I'll still say you presented the point(s) eloquently.

As to the 'handbook', I have to agree with you 100%, it's well worth the cost also. I tell that to my students.

Over the years, I (as an EC) have come upon many service installs that used the famous 'six switch rule' on the original, and the owners got the kick in the pants during renovation/remodel projects. Most of the time, economics play a role in the "no main" services, but the piper gets his due sooner or later. I came on one this week..
A 200/3 phase 'main' for a diner, and 4-60 amp 'mains' for the 4 apts. THe service conductors (250 RHW) are litterly 'baked' from overload, along with the 200/3 fused disc. It's time for an upgrade. Lack of a 'main' allowed overloading over the years, and prolonged a dangerous condition. Lack of doing load calcs, as new equipment was added over the years is a major contributor,
The old 'nothing tripped/blew' theory strikes again.

John

John
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard