ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
My bet is since that screw is the only screw in the box its probably a sheet metal screw used to mount the box.

You are an inspector of what? Obviously no electrical inspector or you would know that that is a 10/32 ground screw and green at that. No, it is not listed, I don't even know if they would list common machine screws.

Somebody propose to the NEC that this be clarified so we don't have to hear this anymore!

-Hal

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Somebody propose to the NEC that this be clarified so we don't have to hear this anymore!
For years proposals have been made to the Code to get the panel's official interpretation without going through a formal interpretation.

Make a proposal to the 2008 Code to require wires to be wrapped around screws in a clockwise direction or to require a green listed screw be used. The proposal would likely be rejected with a panel statement. The panel action and statement is now an official interpretation. [Linked Image]

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
K
I'm not color blind and that screw doesn't look like a green grounding screw to me. What do you say we ask Iwire (who posted the picture) to take that screw out and take a close-up picture of it, then there will be no room for argument(of course I enjoy a good argument as well as anyone, hey, thats why I'm an inspector).

E
Kalbrecht I hope you are looking at a black and white monitor. [Linked Image]

I
iwire Offline OP
Yes this is a "Ground Screw" if there is such a thing. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yes the label calls them ground screws but they are not UL listed.

I challenge anyone to show us or tell us where to find UL Listed ground screws. [Linked Image]

They do not exist that I can find. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
H
I'm not color blind and that screw doesn't look like a green grounding screw to me.
Believe me, it's as green as the wire. Adjust your monitor properly.

Make a proposal to the 2008 Code to require wires to be wrapped around screws in a clockwise direction or to require a green listed screw be used.

Not at all what I was talking about. I don't care which way the wire is wrapped and neither should the NEC (although it should be wrapped the other way).

What I'm saying is that section 250.8 is not complete and misleading.

The most common way to attach an equipment ground wire to a box is with a screw. Most times it is the only practical way. Section 250.8 prohibits sheet metal screws for this use and by implication allows a machine screw.

As I said, I don't think something like a machine screw can be listed and if it is the Code's intent to allow its use (as we all believe it is) 250.8 needs to be changed to clarify the intent. Even a FPN would do it.

-Hal

I
iwire Offline OP
OK is this a violation?

This is a lug rated 1/0 to 14 AWG and is fastened to the box with a standard 1/4" x 20 nut and bolt.

[Linked Image]

Yes I know the lug is a little large but it is all I had handy and it is rated for that size wire.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
K
250,148(A) states grounding screw or listed grounding device. Looks like a discrepancy in the code. Either should be ok

[This message has been edited by kalbrecht (edited 05-21-2004).]

B
Since the term "grounding screw" is not defined within the NEC, it's my intepretation that the term is used simply to clearly define the function of the screw. That is, any screw [except sheet-metal, of course] used solely to maintain continuity between a EGC and the box is by definition a "grounding screw".

That being said, I'm set in my ways: I always like to use the green screws, and I've actually moved EGCs out from under cable-clamp screws just to put them under a green screw.

Same applys with putting conductors counter-clockwise under screws; it's not wrong, just not how I do it.

-John

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited 05-21-2004).]

D
This is definitely NOT a violation. This isn't part of an electrical installation and the N.E.C. doesn't govern paper-weights. If it were part of an electrical installation, I'd be much more concerned about the missing side of the box!

Dave

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard