ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I'm doing a house where the homeowner wants everything done in # 12 wire. In figuring the fill calculations, is the entire duplex recept. counted as one yoke, or is each plug in counted as a yoke?? The code says to allow double for each yoke In other words using # 12 wire one duplex outlet would be considered as the following??
2.25 per conductor X 2 ( double for 1 yoke if whole recpt. is considered 1 yoke) = 4.5 cubic inch? Been a while since I had to figure it, and I have a brain freeze [Linked Image]
Thanks, Steve

Also I forgot one other thing. On the outside lighting, can you still use a switch box for the outside lighting if it is laid in brick, or does it have to be a light box. Seems like I remember an exception for this rule, that says you can use a switch box, but I'm not sure.. Thanks again.. Steve

[This message has been edited by sparkync (edited 05-18-2004).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
The entire device is considered to be one yoke. For example, a single receptacle, a duplex, a triplex, a dimmer, a GFCI, a switch, these are all considered to be a single yoke and therefore a double volume allowance shall be made (2.25*2=4.5).

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Steve:
Based on the NEC, yes one device (as Ryan stated) counts as two conductors, as you calculated.

The 'common sense' rules that I/we use allow for a little extra room for 'big' devices (GFI, dimmer, etc) Heck, a little extra room never hurts. 22/23 CI plastic new work, 1 gangs are the only 1-gangs we use. Comm is 4x4 deep, or need be a 3-1/2 device, gangable (gem).

With my AHJ hat on, you may be surprized how many 'bof-fill' red stickers are written.

John

John
C
Why does the homeowner want everything in #12? Seems like a waste of money and resources to me. It's a misconception that wiring everything with #12 minimum is a better system.

Peter

Peter
V
I believe switch boxes can be used for fixtures. As long as the fixture is 6 pounds or less.

M
That applies to wall mounted fixtures only,(like your situation) just in case someone reads the last post and tries to hang a 5 pound light on the ceiling

S
Thanks for all the replies. Just now finding a little time to respond. In response to why the homeowner wants it done in #12 wire, is because the rest of his house is in #12. I agree, that # 12 is not necessarily better, especially on lights. Though it will carry more load, heat, etc., it can be damaging to residential switches if care is not taken, plus the overall fill in a box can be tougher on devices when pushing them back in the box etc.... But this is the way he wanted it, and he's the one paying.... I hope [Linked Image] I haven't got paid yet. Thanks again for all the responses. I decided to go with metal octagon boxes for the outside lights. He has bought a bunch of lights on sale, and I'm not sure what he's got to put out there. Steve [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard