ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#88083 05/07/04 04:33 PM
A 'used' 3 phase, 4 wire, 120/208, 75 KW genset and a 3 pole ATS were donated to our local Fire House.

My question....if the gen is to be connected to provide standby power, do you need a 3 pole, or 4 pole ATS??

Thanks,
John

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#88084 05/07/04 05:17 PM
I
It is a design decision, if the generator XO is bonded to the frame you need a 4 pole switch, if the XO is not bonded you need a 3 pole switch.

You can bond it or float it in the field most times.

When GFP protection is involved 4 pole switches are on the drawings. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#88085 05/26/04 01:00 AM
D
dfe Offline
I would go with the 4 pole xfer. A 120/208 generator system without a Xo bond could backfeed the line neutral looking for a return path to ground. This may be a safety issue if someone was working on the main service, with the generator running and open the neutral ahead of the bond to ground. The above post was VERY WISE about the problems with a GFI and a second ground. I was on a service call last year for that kind of problem. GFI trip as soon as the load exceeded the GFI trip settings. This took awhile to find due to size of the building.

#88086 05/26/04 07:29 AM
R
dfe,
A 120/208 generator system without a Xo bond could backfeed the line neutral looking for a return path to ground.
Can you explain how this could happen?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#88087 05/26/04 06:49 PM
D
dfe Offline
Hello resqcapt19

I will try to explain...as you know the main service neutral ("grounded conductor" as the nec like's to call it) is bonded to ground at the main service. This is the only place the code lets you do this, unless of course you have a separately derived system such as a generator. Now if this generator is using this neutral without a X0 bond at the generator (and a 3p xfer ) any leaks to ground or faults to ground will return to the neutral at the main service bonding jumper ("backfeed" in electrician talk). This is were it could be a safety issue, if someone was working on this neutral and open it ( this is something some people only do once.. they don't get a 2nd chance). A 4p xfer switch with its own X0 bond at its neutral, would be isolated from the main service neutral and could not backfeed when the generator stated.

Hope this helps... Maybe someone smarter then me may explain it better.

#88088 05/26/04 07:13 PM
I
DFE welcome to ECN. [Linked Image]

This 'backfeed', can you describe the whole circuit of this current?

Just a tip, Don is pretty sharp. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#88089 05/26/04 07:32 PM
I
This may help.

Graphic By Ed MacLaren.
[Linked Image from electric-ed.com]

Bill if this graphic is a problem let me know and I will pull it.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#88090 05/26/04 09:52 PM
R
A couple of questions, if I may.

1st, what do you mean the nuetral current is looking for a path to ground?
2nd, In my opinion, anybody opening the nuetral has a death wish...

And, as Bob said, welcome to ECN. [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#88091 05/26/04 10:40 PM
D
dfe Offline
Thanks Iwire

I'm sure that there are many sharp people here, I'm here to learn as much from them as I can, and maybe share a little as I go, this is how I think it works from what I see so far.

I made the changes you requested to the picture you posted but I could not paste it. Maybe I did something wrong or maybe it was something I didn't do ?.

Lets try this. Lets say we have a small leakage to ground on the load in your picture ( a old motor maybe ), lets say its leaking to A phase. This leakage would follow the ground trying to return to its source . It would follow the ground path back to the main service to the bonding jumper, then on to the neutral, follow this back until it was cancel out by B phase at the generator. This system would work fine until someone open the neutral at the main service, ( maybe a main GFI test or a service upgrade ). When they turn main power off the generator would come on ( ATS in the 1st post ). There is no X0 bond at the ATS, it would be using the main service X0 bond for its ground path. Someone then opens this path and we hope they just get a shock... But that depends on how they open it and how much leakage we had.

#88092 05/26/04 11:15 PM
D
dfe Offline
Thanks Ryan

On the 1st question I used the wrong words (terms) should have said the ground current is trying to complete the circuit thru the neutral via the bonding jumper at the main service.

2nd I agree with you 100% ( maybe more ). In this circuit the bond is at the main service so any faults to ground must travel back to the main service bonding jumper then follow that neutral back to the generator to complete this circuit. If I may quote you "anybody opening the nuetral has a death wish..." they may get there wish granted. However they may not be aware that this is also the bonding path for the generator. A 4p ats would be safer, the neutral to the main service would be isolated the generator would have its own bond to neutral.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard