ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Y
Question

Panel feeders to a general care area not on essential electricial system ,PVC allowed???
I know for branch circuits part b applies approved grounding raceway AND insulated grounding condutor But feeders???
All I can find code references to are Branch circuits.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Yoopersup, yes PVC is allowed for normal feeders. (Equipment branch also)

Since there are no specific requirements like there are for branch circuits, 517.12 allows using wiring methods from chapters 1 thru 4

Roger

N
517.13(B) says the grounding conductor shall be installed in metal raceways or metal clad cables with the branch circuit conductors. This would imply only back to the panelboard. However,517.13(A) requires a ground path for fault current by a metal raceway system of cable armor assembly.
A ground path for fault current must be continuous to the source of it's supply which in most cases is a transformer and would include the panel feeder.

Y
517.19d Panelboard Grounding Which is a critical area ( I;m talking about is only General care area). Says grounded electrical system is used AND a Metal feeder or raceway OR type mc or mi cables IS installed:::::: So I;m taking it other wiring metods besides metal can be used . This was for Critical and I;m talking about General care. The IS installed again tells me I have other options. Again input is welcomed

R
Yoopersup,
So I;m taking it other wiring metods besides metal can be used .
this is correct.

517.19 doesn't have any bearing in this application, and even if it did, it would allow "Normal" feeders to be installed as you stated in your sentence above.

Roger

N
I am trying to understand the reason for specifically requiring a redundant path with a metallic raceway from the panel to the devices but falling short of specifically requiring it for the feeder. The way I see it all the electrical redundancy is lost at the panelboard. Like I said above it requires a metallic ground fault path but it appears only from the panel to the device. Not the entire electrical path. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard