ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 402 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
As an EE that grew up (after the BS ( [Linked Image] )) to become a one person Electrical Contracting outfit, I can say that my BSEE gave me about 1/3 of what I need as an EC. There is also 1/3 NEC knowledge and 1/3 mechanical ability.

That is, the Code, theory and mechanical know-how make this job.

When I was at University, I worked along side of a Master / Electrical Contractor through the summers and on weekends during the year. The on-the-job discussions and just plain sweat greatly augmented the EE course work.

How do you get it? . . . time and effort. It really is an additional "degree", one that makes an EE more well rounded in certain fields.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
E-field, you might try looking to see if there are electrical code courses available at a local community college. Additionally, there might be opportunities for "ride-alongs" with electrical inspectors. Regardless of the interview process, you will need to get familiar with the code anyway.

B
Ryan—you raise a very good point. Authors and publishers ‘resting on their laurels’ do not deserve anyone’s business.

S
Elzappr had a very good idea about the community college. I teach a NEC class at the local technical colege and had an engineer in my class last semester. He is a foreman at a pharmaceutical factory and wanted to make sure his electricians were wiring according to code. We use Interpreting the National Electric Code by Truman C. Surbrook & Johnathan R. Althouse which can be found on Amazon.com along with an answer book. It covers the entire NEC. I would also recommend any of the Tom Henry books.

J
JBD Offline
e-field,

It sounds like you are getting an emphasis in electronics. You need to see if your school offers any course in Power Systems or Rotating Machinery. I know the world needs digital circuits but they cannot operate if they don't get power from somewhere.

Way back when, if I had to take another electronics course I would have never graduated. Luckily, I got to take a senior design course in building wiring systems (our texts were the Square D Digest, the Westinghouse Lighting Handbook, and the NEC) instead. For practical experience, I worked as an electrician in the theatre department providing power and lighting to the touring shows.

Very few college interviewers expect you to really know anything of substance. Usually they are looking for your willingness to continue learning (their business) and which courses you have taken, inside and outside of your degree.
Be yourself, don't exaggerate, talk about what you like in engineering, and your short to medium range career plans.
I remember interviewing a candidate that was taking a robotics course, so he wanted to find a job doing that in a specific area of a specific city. He certainly didn't show the flexibility expected of someone with no experience.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard