ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#87398 03/07/04 12:13 AM
T
Thanks Tom,
So then wouldn't "BX" be considered the non grounded armored cable made until some time in the 60's? early 70's? And, was it no longer recognized by the NEC because of the grounding issue? I don't remember seeing AC cable until some time 80's. I know that armored cable disappeared for years and if it was a grounding issue I wonder why they didn't just put a full size ground conductor in it and keep it on the market.

I don't know enough about the history of BX to answer your question. I just know that it was never listed as providing an Equipment Grounding Conductor.
--
Tom H

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#87399 03/07/04 09:27 AM
P
If you were to look at the UL Standards, 'BX' is standard # 4. The fourth standard developed, that was a long long time ago. 'BX' is the common name based on a company that manufactured the cable from the Bronx - using the B and X from the name.
If you were to try and find 'BX' in any documents such as the NEC, or NEMA or UL you would find no references, All you will find is AC cable.

'BX' did not have a grounding wire manufactured with it and has not been produced in many many years. AC - Armoured Cable has a grounding conductor in the form of a bare (usually aluminum) 16 AWG conductor manufactured with it. The wire that holds the redhead in place [Linked Image]

'Bx' will most likely show continuity when testing for an equipment ground conductor, but the armour cannot and should not be relied upon for equipment grounding purposes.

When working with existing 'BX', one should not install a grounding type receptacle to that circuit as the equipment ground is unreliable and has in many situations started fires or created shock hazards.

For a long time, AC cable and conduit were the most common wiring methods. I would say that NM cable has become the most widely used method, but AC cable is still installed in large quantities.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#87400 03/07/04 09:38 AM
I
Pierre I agree with most all that you say (the exception being calling the 16 AL wire a grounding conductor [Linked Image]) and I have been having ongoing conversations with someone about this.

Can you tell me with any certainty if old AC (BX) was ever approved for grounding purposes?

Thanks any info would be great, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard