ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#87351 02/19/04 07:40 AM
C
cavo148 Offline OP
I have an existing two-family home where the owner wants to upgrade the service and breakup branch circuits properly...lots of homeowner type wiring 'n shortcuts. Anyhow, there exists two meters outside and two separate main-breaker panels inside the basement. Right now there are two sisters living in the house, the sister who owns the house lives downstairs and has access to the basement and electric equip. through her apartment. When I asked the owner if she had given access to the basement to other tenants in the past, she replied "no." BTW, there is a door in the basement leading to the backyard, but she said she wouldn't give a key to a strange tenant, since the basement is finished and used as living space. With this in mind, as per the NEC I have to locate the second floor panel on the apartment, correct? Also, the service disconnect would either have to be located outside the house or in the respective apartment, correct?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#87352 02/19/04 12:00 PM
E
I'll bet there's not a "hard and fast" answer to this one. A lot depends on the ordinances and regulation for existing buildings that are in force now for that duplex. The best source of information will be the electrical inspector that will eventually come to the dwelling to OK the power company reconnection to the upgraded service. The local power company meter placement requirements may also figure into the solution that will "sell" to the sisters.

Consider also, that the sisters, when faced with the cost estimate of relocating the rental unit service center, may find it much easier (and less costly) to give the tennant a key to the basement door.

I see this from time to time in the seven county metro area that I work in. The access is granted to the current tennant, the work gets done, inspected and completed. Then the next tennant doesn't get the key.

Al Hildenbrand
#87353 02/20/04 01:13 AM
S
You must provide access for the tenants and there must be a public meter and panel for common areas.

#87354 02/20/04 03:19 PM
E
A lot of towns have "Property Maintance Codes" that address this issue. Check with your local BO. The new portions would have to meet current code. If no access, then the panel has to be moved to the apartment, or outside, where it is accessible to each tenant.

Earl

Link Copied to Clipboard