ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
sparky Offline OP
I get a God awful lot of calls asking me to 'put my circuits in the panel' or similar deals where i'd be energizing someone else's work.
My policy is to tell these sorts that i'm liable for anything i energize.
So the circuitry must be up to code before i do so.
As there is no single-fam inspection in my state, this puts me in the uncomfortable potential of AHJ .

What do posters here do??

E
I won't energize someone else's work unless it is obvious to me that it has been installed properly.

More often than not I just won't do it.

Why was the original installation not finished 100% ?

R
I just had a customer run 2 ckts. from a basement to the 2nd floor. Problem is, he used the heating system return as a chase. I explained to him why he would have to re-route them and he did so. Sometimes the savings to DIY is not really there.

E
Just say no! I do not even return those calls. Or "my husband tried to......" beep message deleted. Just not worth the liability.And try to make people understand. Forget it. I just did a kitchen remodel. i was done the granite was not. I said I will gladly come back to connect the cooktop. " Oh my husband will do it" No he wont. I explained to her why she called mw in the first place, lic. ins. experience, reputation. "Oh well he did the rest of the house" Oh well then... New second floor bath with whirlpool tub, NOT bonded, gfi under the tub that you will never get to unless you squeeze a two year old in there, and new 15 (not 20) amp gfi circuit feeding the bath and some lighting. Ok done rambling here, the point is it just is not a good idea.

Only after I see what was done, & check it with a Megger.

G
I think that most electrictians will tunr down such work. That may be short sighted.

Many years ago (this is a short story), I did the wiring for my new house without either a permit (the code office would not give them to unlicensed people) or licence.

When the matter reached the federal court, the judge made it clear that requiring a licensed person to redo the work and me being unable to hire such a person would cause the county a lot of constitutional problems.

As I recall the county found an electrictian for me and paid me a bunch of money.

When only licensed people can do necessary work, there is a great obligation placed on those who are licensed to not turn down ANY work.

E
With all due respect to you all I have worked too hard for my license to put it on the line for ANYONE.

If you keep you stuff together, it's not a problem at all.
We work lots of multi-contractor jobs.
There might be quite a few EC's working on the same job.
You just need to keep track of who did what...see 'ya in court..Scott

Early on when trying to establish myself in the business, I took on a lot of work that fit this category.

I'm starting to get to the point that I can pick and choose my work now, and I turned down a half-completed job for a cabin last week.

Guess it depends on how bad I need the work.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
R
A contractor can refuse any work that he wants to, as long as he doesn't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex ect. I am certainly within my rights to refuse to hookup what someone else has installed. I have no obligation to anyone to work for them. The case cited by George appears to have been against the AHJ and not the contractors who refused the work. I would also highly doubt that the Federal District Court would be upheld if an appeal to a higher court was made. Courts have repeatedly ruled that requirements for having various types of work performed only by persons holding a license is valid and in the interest of public safety.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard