ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 287 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
ltr1013 Offline OP
ok

[This message has been edited by ltr1013 (edited 02-06-2004).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Z
Itr1013,- Right on brother!.......But you should use a code book!, things are changing all the time.
I am also glad we do not have to go through all that red tape in my area, like getting permits to change a switch!

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
I've been doing electrical wiring for close to 40 years never seen the inside of a codebook! ....

But of course the work we do is probably not up to code. When you try to talk to these people about some code classes they treat you like a second-class citizen. ....

I'm glad are state does things the way they do. Hope things stay the way they are for at least 10 more years by then I'll be done working.
Please explain these statements.

Bill
L
ltr1013 Offline OP
ok

[This message has been edited by ltr1013 (edited 02-05-2004).]

Thanks for the explanation,

As far as I know if your Area has adopted Codes you are responsible for adherring to them whether inspections are required or not. Knowing that it would be in your best interest to get up to speed on things as soon as you can in case you are doing something wrong and something happens. (In that case you may not have any business or retirement years)

If you tell us what area you're in maybe someone will have some ideas on local courses that would help. There are also many "Guide to", "Illustrated" and "How to Interpret" books on the NEC that help explain the Code more than you could get from just reading it.

Bill

Bill
License doesn't guarantee good work
No argument there.

BTW, Being neat and clean doesn't mean that work is any safer either.

Bill

Bill
J
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
License doesn't guarantee good work

That is one of my most popular sayings. I recently moved from New Hampshire to Mass. and I had to take the electrical exam and it was a joke. But if you hire good electricans or apprentices and instill in them a good work ethic and teach them to do things in a "Neat and Workmanlike Manner"(NEC) you will save your self alot of grey hair. On the other hand I do not think the NEC is a obselete or inadequate code just think of the work some of the "contractors" would do if there was not a code or AHJ to hold them liable.

Jeff Rose

Y
License & Permits
I have been in the Electrical trade going on 40 yrs. I was an Electrical Inspector for over 20 yrs and licensed in 10 states, I have inspected union,nonunion,licensed,unlicensed work. By FAR licensed journeyman do the far better and safer work. True one out of 20 unlicensed journeyman do Great work,and one out of twenty unlicensed do bad and unsafe work. As far as permits, they assure the owner gets a safe up to code job.But the odds are with licensed people. Most good contractors have NO problem filing permits. Its the ones that have something to hide that shy away from them. I am licensed in several; east coast states.

I
I recently moved from New Hampshire to Mass. and I had to take the electrical exam and it was a joke.

What did you find funny about it?

Please explain what you mean.

But if you hire good electricans or apprentices and instill in them a good work ethic and teach them to do things in a "Neat and Workmanlike Manner"(NEC)

"Neat and Workmanlike" is an unenforceable section of the NEC

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-07-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
J
iwire,
The "funny" thing is that they give you 4hrs. to complete a test that takes 30 min. and a second part they give you 3hrs. for a 15 min. exam and ask questions like how to find the square footage of a 10'x10' room (and you can bring a calculator?), how do you test a GFCI? Shall I go on?

I understand it is unenforcable but it is still a desirable way in going about things remember the code is the bare minimum. Maybe I should only put 2 small appliance ckts.
in a 1700 sq. ft. kitchen, since that is the only requirement , Or perhaps I put the lights and the outlet in a bathroom on the same circuit since the code says it is okay. but just don't use your 1750W hair dryer!

Jeff Rose

[This message has been edited by jeffrose (edited 02-07-2004).]

[This message has been edited by jeffrose (edited 02-07-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard