ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#87225 02/03/04 11:03 PM
G
How are States adopting the 2002 NEC handling the requirement for Inspectors to be "Certified" as identified in Article 80 Section 80.27? Here in Michigan we have a Registration program that requires documented training in various catagories before one can become re-registered. Initial qualification only require that one be a Journey level for two years or have a Master license. The State of Michigan has written out the requirement for "Certification".

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#87226 02/03/04 11:12 PM
R
Hi George. I think its important to bring up the fact that article 80 is not code unless specifically adopted. My state has not adopted and shows no interest in doing so.

In Utah, certified means just that...certified. ICC/IAEI certification and a valid license are the requirements.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#87227 02/03/04 11:25 PM
George:
Here in NJ, Article 80 is not adopted, as we have a State Uniform Construction Code, that covers all administrative issues.

EC's are licensed here, and Electrical Inspectors are also State Lic.

John

John
#87228 02/04/04 01:56 PM
R
In NC it has been required for a long time (70's).

Exerpt from the state statutes (I have edited this to eliminate some legal jargon and numbers)

(b) No person may perform electrical inspections pursuant to this Part unless he has been certified as qualified by the Commissioner
of Insurance. To be certified a person must pass a written examination based on the electrical regulations included in the
latest edition of the State Building Code as filed with the Secretary of State. The examination shall be under the supervision of and
conducted according to rules and regulations prescribed by the Chief State Electrical Inspector or Engineer of the State Department.

The rules and regulations may provide for the certification of class I, class II, and class III inspectors, according to the results of
the examination. The examination shall be based on the type and character of electrical installations being made in the territory
in which the applicant wishes to serve as an electrical inspector. A class I inspector may serve anywhere in the State, but class II
and class III inspectors shall be limited to service in the territory for which they have qualified.
The Commissioner of Insurance shall issue a certificate to each person who passes the examination, approving the person for service
in a designated territory. To remain valid, a certificate must be renewed each January by payment of an annual renewal fee of
one dollar ($1.00). The examination fee shall be five dollars ($5.00).
If the person appointed by a county as electrical inspector fails to pass the examination, the county shall continue to make appointments
until an appointee has passed the examination. For the interim the Commissioner of Insurance may authorize the
county to use a temporary inspector.
The provisions of this subsection shall become void and ineffective on such date as the North Carolina Code Officials Qualification
Board certifies to the Secretary of State that it has placed in effect a certification system for electrical inspectors pursuant to
its authority granted by Article 9C of Chapter 143 of the General Statutes.

153A-351.1. Qualifications of inspectors. - On and after the applicable date set forth in the schedule in G.S. 153A-351, no county
shall employ an inspector to enforce the State Building Code as a member of a county or joint inspection department who does
not have one of the following types of certificates issued by the North Carolina Code Officials Qualification Board attesting to his
qualifications to hold such position: (i) a probationary certificate, valid for one year only; (ii) a standard certificate; or (iii) a limited
certificate, which shall be valid only as an authorization for him to continue in the position held on the date specified in G.S.
143-151.10(c) and which shall become invalid if he does not successfully complete in-service training prescribed by the Qualification
Board within the period specified in G.S. 143-151.10(c). An inspector holding one of the above certificates can be promoted
to a position requiring a higher level certificate only upon issuance by the Board of a standard certificate or probationary certificate
appropriate for such new position. (1977, c. 531, s. 4.)

Link Copied to Clipboard