ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#8699 04/01/02 09:14 PM
T
triples Offline OP
Where do I find information on the number and location of smoke detectors necessary in a Wisconsin residence?

#8700 04/01/02 11:16 PM
I used to work in WI, Sheboygan and West Bend Areas. I think that different cities have thier own unique requirements, but we installed as per the CABO requirements, which is: One smoke in each bedroom, one smoke in the hall between the bedrooms, one smoke on each story, one in the basement (preferably a CO detector as well) and I think that stairwells are required to have a smoke in the top of the stairwell.

I could very well be wrong, it was a few years ago. Perhaps someone else on this BB will have a better idea of hard documentation.

I did notice that Wisconsin folks are very tough and hard working. This comes from a Mountaineer, and we have a hardworking rep too.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#8701 04/02/02 05:23 AM
S
you could ask if NFPA 72 applies.......

#8702 04/02/02 07:57 AM
E
Try the local Fire Chief / inspector.

You also couldn't go wrong w/ sparky66wv's advice for locations.

#8703 04/02/02 09:38 PM
N
Done some work in Wisc., typical scenario for IL and WI is each bedroom, hallways off bedrooms within 15' of door openings, long hallway you get 2 smokes, 1st floor of two story house- hallway/common area by stairs, got a basement-bottom of stairs close to door, then the furnace room/area.
Some inspectors want them by stairs no matter what, some don't get too upset if in the basement it's just in the furnace area.
Typically following the print approved by the municipality is the safest bet, but if in doubt, call the AHJ of the area.
Not all locales require the CO detectors as of this date. But to the electricians advantage, and the disadvantage of the homeowners pocket book, Fyrnetics has a combo CO/Smoke that was approved finally.The alerts had to be seperated. The unit can be installed in just the locations required and work with the smoke only units.

Link Copied to Clipboard