ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Don:

Most all listed or labeled equipment comes with instructions that are required to be followed, and include detailed guidelines to keep the products operational.

I see where the rules in 110.3(A) and (B) apply.

What if there was a switch that was defective like this one?

[Linked Image]

Sparky:

Please clarify what you are trying to say. We find it very difficult to understand you!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Joe,
Most all listed or labeled equipment comes with instructions that are required to be followed, and include detailed guidelines to keep the products operational.
Only instructions that are part of the listing and labeling are required to be complied with by 110.3(B). If all manufacturer's instructions were required to be followed, then there would be no code compliant use for "classified" breakers. I have rarely seen "maintenance instructions" as part of the listing and labeling information. Yes, they are almost always included in the manufacturer's instructions, but not in the listing and labeling, and yes these maintenance rules should be followed, but I still see no NEC rule that requires this.
The switch in your last post certainly should be repaired or replaced, but it has already been installed, and was apparently in compliance at the time of installation. At this point, unless it is being replaced, it is outside the scope of the NEC.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
E
Each State or Town adopts "model" codes, such as the NEC, as they see fit to be law. Included in each building code are the requirements where these model codes are to be referenced. Invariably, the building code is adopted for building, i.e. new construction and remodeling. The existing buildings section of building codes deal with remodeling concerns. The fire codes are adopted, side by side, with the building codes. Fire codes address the maintaince issues. Take a look at NFPA 101, for the maintenance of buildings. Talk to your fire marshal with your concerns, it is his job to inspect the buildings in your town for proper maintenance.

Earl
F
This issue opens up a whole can of worms. If we assume maintenance is required by the NEC, who is responsible for this maintenance in one and two family dwellings? The original installer? The current homeowner? In my area the only time it comes up is in the sale of a home and then the seller is responsible for systems to be compliant to a certain extent. And that is by the authority of the lending institution, not the building inspector or fire marshall.

Don:

I think we may begin to see our way towards a clearer understanding of the issues we have been discussing here. I (we) can thank some of my colleagues for their opinions quoted below.

This thread can remain here, and we can continue to discuss the subject.

I think the Code does not, and perhaps should not, cover maintenance of equipment.

I think that is the question here.

I agree that the maintenance is covered by standards such as NFPA 70B, and NFPA 70E.

However, I do believe that the Code must consider maintenance practices, and as such provide an installation that permits safe maintenance practices to be performed, ie working clearances, arc flash considerations, etc.

I do not think it is a matter of whether the NEC mandates the maintenance of a premises wiring system, rather it is the fact that the NEC does make it a point to advise its users that initial compliance without maintenance does not necessarily ensure continued compliance with its direct benefits of fire and shock protection.

I concede, Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 01-06-2004).]

S
Vermont, in an amazing moment of lucidity, instituted the TQP (technically qualified person) certification for fire alarm systems.

a sticker is applied to the system panel, much like a vehicle inspectons

you wouldn't believe the boo-boo's we found the first few years, entire zones in schools nfg, on & on...i would wager 20%-30% of the states fire alarm systems to have had major problems.

Please clarify what you are trying to say. We find it very difficult to understand you!
~sigh~
the latter is an example of Lack of Maintenance

Your photo's are an example of Unqualified Persons, are they not?

Enforcement (or rather lack of it) is the Impact on both

yrs
~S~

sparky:

OK - Right On!!

Most of the pictures I capture and post in the violations area here, and in many other locations, show where the lack of maintenance, repair, replacement (or whatever you want to call it), where the equipment was damaged, or otherwise just old and corroded, rusty, ripped out, and with thieving hands constantly tampering with the stuff people who live in the street!

Unqualified, you bet, lots of the stuff is put in by those who are without any clue whatsoever!

Yes, there are many persons who know nothing about the code, or installation practices who are often responsible for work that can be criticized.

I just returned from shopping in the two "big box stores" because I had to buy something to finish up a "honey do" list.

Whenever I do go into those stores, I always walk down the aisles where the electrical equipment can be found. Today, I stopped behind a person who was holding two device boxes, one of metal and the other of nonmetallic material. He also had a roll of metallic cable, looked like "BX" in his cart.

He said to his partner, I think that I will buy the nonmetallic boxes because they are not as expensive as the metal boxes, and I won't need any connectors.

I said nothing (shook my head) and moved on to the checkout counter!

Joe

H
Joe,

In NJ as an AHJ I am only allowed to look at new work that is installed under the NEC as adopted by my state. In my case the state of NJ does not adopt the NEC in it's entire condition. The remove sec. 80 of the NEC and they remove section 210.12 that requires arc-fault. (That is a whole other discussion.) I am not allowed to walk into an existing building and cite code violations for things that I see. (That is the job of the Fire Prevention people.) They come in once or twice a year for inspections and they are suppose to cite those violations. YET, Fire prevention people do not enter 1 and 2 family dwellings.(or condo units.)

S
i might be sorry i bring it up here ....

i've noticed quite a few poco updates, x-formers are closer , and of a higher kva

existing services come to mind....

concerning the arc flash calc, which is done in part with via the poco's Xformer kva and impedance , the AIC then changes....

~S~

T
i might be sorry i bring it up here ....

i've noticed quite a few poco updates, x-formers are closer , and of a higher kva

existing services come to mind....

concerning the arc flash calc, which is done in part with via the poco's Xformer kva and impedance , the AIC then changes....

More important than the arc flash calculation is the withstand rating of the premise electrical system. As transformers are located closer and upsized only a truly sharp electrician will recognize the hazard that may be created by a newly inadequate withstand rating of the previously installed premise wiring system. I doubt that the idea ever crosses the power utilities collective mind to check for the withstand of installed equipment when they effectively increase the fault current that the served premises wiring systems will be subjected to.
--
Tom Horne

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard