ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by HotLine1 - 04/23/24 02:17 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 231 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Sven: Have patience. David Shapiro and I are working on just such a book now. If you have anything you think should be in it, let us know. Creighton

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
David Shapiro and I are working on just such a book now.

Cool, sign me up for one!

Can I get a signed copy?

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
B
The techniques used to print Bibles could be used to make a nice compact, durable code but it would then be $60 to NFPA and another $60 to the printer. At least for residential, the cut down pocket version is handy to keep with you.

P
The same happened here in Britain when a larger format was introduced for the 1981 edition.

The older editions of our code book were a much more convenient size, about 8 x 6.

..I put mine in a loose leaf binder, that I keep on the truck, and then I have the Handbook, that I keep at home...I also have 2 small books, one for residential, and the other for commercial/industrial applications written by the NFPA,they go for about $27.00 each,but they're compact and filled with Code articles...I can't remember the exact name,but they are small,black soft cover books...got them in Barnes and Noble...

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
The electronic NEC doesn't take up any room at all!
I'm with Roger. My '96 NEC has become more difficult to read as my eyes degrade, even though the print is only slightly smaller.
Sure fit on the dashboard nicely, though...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-28-2003).]

S
great, you just had to bring up the print size in an age-heavy trade electure !
[Linked Image]

by that rationale, the 08' should have a type size pursuant to a 3' square book remenisent of grade school caliber fare....

~S~

E
Attic Rat:
They are called the Pocket Guide to Electrical Installations. Volume 1 covers residential and volume 2 covers commercial and industrial. They are $26 from NFPA, or both for $44, (even less for members) plus shipping. Save your $ shop on the net!
very handy pocket stuffing size.

Earl
Broom Pusher and
I prefer the current "Larger" sized version of the NEC.
Text is a little larger, the book stays open easier on my desktop
(actual real desktop, not what's "inside my monitor" desktop [Linked Image]...),
and since pages are larger, each page holds more text - so book is less bloated.

Now to get Grainger to follow... images are easy to see, but that <4 point text is quite blurry for me after doing some "Marathon" CAD / PC work!

Funny thing about what has been mentioned by others in regards to larger text (at least funny to me):

If my eyes keep progressively getting worse, I would totally support the printed hard copy version of 2008 NEC using 24 point bold Sans Serif fonts! Something in an Arial or Swiss flavor will be fine.
Weights of Character sets would increase in a linear fashion per every other code cycle - meaning that by 2014, font size would increase to 48 points, and by 2020, font size would be at 72 points!

After that, the term "Mr. Magoo" applies to me - and as a result, it's time for "The NEC On Audio Tape" - or more like my CD version of the NEC would contain Digital Audio only!

Just give me a copy with individual letters cut out of Magazines, glued to blank paper - similar to the "Stereotypical" Kidnappers' ransom notes in Movies.
(I used to have a font that had this look, and man I sent out some crazy looking memos!).

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
P
pip Offline
Man...we have alot of old people with bad eyesight here...I really miss the old size.
I wish we had a choice.
The smaller size is better in the field. I have the binder right now...my dad swaped with me and I hate it too. I miss the days of being a 20 year old journeyman, carrying a small code book...not a care in the world..:0)

[This message has been edited by pip (edited 01-01-2004).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard