ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Is this requirement being enforced by any AHJ's?

250.104(B) Other Metal Piping.

Where installed in or attached to a building or structure, metal piping system(s), including gas piping, that may become energized shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or to the one or more grounding electrodes used.

The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with 250.122 using the rating of the circuit that may energize the piping system(s).

The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that may energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means.

The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.

FPN:Bonding all piping and metal air ducts within the premises will provide additional safety.

Commentary:

Section 250.104(B) was revised for the 2002 Code to state that gas piping is treated exactly the same as all "other metal piping" systems within a building.

NFPA 54 - 6.13 Electrical Bonding and Grounding.

6.13.1 Each aboveground portion of a gas piping system that is likely to become energized shall be electrically continuous and bonded to an effective ground-fault current path.

"Gas piping shall be considered to be bonded when it is connected to gas utilization equipment that is connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the circuit supplying that equipment."

6.13.2 Gas piping shall not be used as a grounding conductor or electrode.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Yes sir. If I'm not mistaken, the '99 required gas piping to be bonded, but because the NEC used a referenced standard to require it, they couldn't change the wording of the reference (the national gas code?). I was very glad taht the 2002 spelled it out clearly. This is a good provision and should be enforced.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
J
The only one I know of in MD that will not allow this is Baltimore City. All the others I deal with require the gass to be bonded.

I had heard something a long time ago about someone not having a potential current flow thru the gas line, especially with any work being done that would break a joint, like around a gas meter.

H
Joe,

Can we take this a little step farther, what about a piece of steel I-beam in a house? The whole house is built of wood studs, butthe main beam in the basement is a large steel I-beam. Most of the electrical wiring is running along side that beam in a chase. Would that I-beam need to be bonded to the electrical system?

D
My underderstanding of this 'gas piping likely to become energized' is this:

1. Gas piping likely to become energized will likely become 'energized' at an appliance utilizing the gas.

2. The mandatory EGC requirement for all circuits automatically bonds this equipment (and thus the gas piping associated with it).

3. Thus, no additional bonding is required...i.e. as it is already bonded through the EGC.

G
This is not being enforced in Nebraska.

GJ

N
Actually this is complied with when you hook up the bare or green ground wire to the equipment ground screw. for example in the furnace or hot water heater.

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 12-21-2003).]

ed
Z
Not in my area either.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
R
Phila., PA area inspection agencies require it. As does the local utility.

S

no Joe, it is being 'enforced' by me,

Steve (aka, if it don't move ground it) sparky

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard