ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#86745 11/27/03 12:13 AM
S
Can someone cite for me the article for the rule that an assembly cannot be installed in a raceway.

I know it's in there but cannot remember where to find it.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#86746 11/27/03 05:48 AM
I
Pete are you talking about cables?

Right now in the 2002 code cycle only type MC is specifically allowed in a raceway. 330.10(7)

For 2002 part of section .22 of the raceway articles was changed to this wording.

XXX.22 Cables shall be permitted to be installed where such use is permitted by the respective cable articles. The number of cables shall not exceed the allowable percentage fill specified in Table 1, Chapter 9.

Right now type MC is the only one I know that says it is permitted in raceways.

Previously NM, UF, SE and MC could all be in raceways.

I have heard in the 2005 code you will again be able to put these cables in raceway.

I have been told it was a case of one hand not knowing what the other was doing.

All this does not change the fact that you can and are sometimes required to put any of these cables in a "short section" of raceway for physical protection.

Another forum member asked the NFPA for an official interpretation of "short section" and the reply was less than a full length of raceway.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#86747 11/27/03 10:23 AM
S
I looked and looked and I did previously find the XXX.22 you refrenced. Yet I could not find any refrence to conduit fill, etc. which allows it.
I may have misstated my question. I was basically referring to conduits. I know about the physical damage rule for short sections.
I was always under the impression that NM, etc. could not be used in a raceway or conduit. In fact I had been told by an inspector more than once. Once we had to temporarily run a piece of romex in a short conduit and was told make sure we change it, which of course we did.
There is something about the temp rating of the conductors and an assembly in a conduit would create an unintended rise in temperature due to the added insulation.

I see this is more of a contentious issue than I thought.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#86748 11/27/03 10:33 AM
I
Try this link for some more info.

http://www.electricalmatters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138

The raceway will create no more heat build up for a cable then for the same number of single carrying conductors. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts

Link Copied to Clipboard