ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#86667 11/19/03 09:24 PM
W
wa2ise Offline OP
In today's Bergen Record paper, there was an article about bad building going on in NJ. Seems that the poor quality wiring in new McMansions mentioned on this board are rather common.

Shoddy home construction is widespread throughout New Jersey, with lax oversight, bureaucratic indifference, and corrupt municipal inspectors contributing to a "consumer crisis," a state panel in Trenton said Tuesday.

The findings came as the State Commission of Investigation opened a series of hearings aimed at drawing attention to the problem and producing tighter construction regulations.

Tuesday's hearing featured more than a dozen witnesses, many of whom were subpoenaed to attend. Disgruntled homeowners from large developments complained of homes sold in disrepair. A construction supervisor testified that he forged several inspection reports. Municipal engineers and code officials told of the need for better training and more manpower.

"In short, the system is broken and it needs to be fixed," said Francis Schiller, chairman of the commission.

The dream of owning a home "is being shaken and shattered by graft, by greed and incompetence, and by the failure of government to fulfill its fundamental duty to protect health, safety, and property of its citizens," he said.

The commission has investigated the issue for about a year after receiving complaints from homeowners and elected officials.

Investigators found 58 developments or standalone homes in 17 counties that have had major structural defects, including the Four Seasons complex in Wayne, a retirement community with a history of structural problems.
See the entire article at
Bergen Record

(edited to shorten url)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 12-08-2003).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Wa2ise:
Firstoff, as an EC, I do not do resi, and have not for at least 15 years. I also work Pt as an AHJ (2 days a week) in a large twp in NJ.

Yes, there were and may still be some "problems" as you pointed out, but are not most of the 'complaints' structural in nature?? Please do not take the approach that the media takes, and jump on the bandwagon!

No EC that I know of does "shoddy" work. "Shoddy" work does NOT get passed, and when necessary we write red stickers.

The above are my personal opinions, and are not intended to "flame" anyone.

John Arendt
NJ Lic EC 8209-A
NJ Electrical Sub-Code 5989
24 November 2003

John
I
As a working electrical sub code,I know of a very few inspectors doing poor work. One has just been fired! The DCA does a fairly good job in policing inspectors, but I hear from some contractors that we are too tough on them, you know the one that never reads a code book. We also have contractors that get very mad at themself if they miss something and the jobs fails. The problem is the money. How many times do we hear the owner say "I saved money or he costs too much. They get what they paid for and I find about 65% of the times the job fails.It is not right. Track homes and condo have to be inspected very closely, some contractors cut every place they can. Not only electrical contractors, but builders,roofers plumbers,ect. The state should license all builder and remolders.

Larry
Inspector Grump:
It was either Friday, or M/T this week.....
builder at a resi job commented "I hear a lot of guys saying xxxxxx is a tough town" he then continued.."I think you guys are fair, and helpful."

The resi new construction (1 family) EC's know that "cutting" is not tolerated by myself of the FT AHJ. The "regular" builders have "steady" EC's, and they all know we are "tough" on enforcement. The same goes for most of the comm work. YES, by all means we do get "problem children", and YES, they get red stickers.

We have 11 inspectors, and 5 office staff, and 2003 has 4200+ permits issued to date, (not including updates).

John

John
I
There are no tough towns, just follow the code book! I'll work with anybody to solve a problem, but sloopy work and violations do not fly. I was just reassigned to 3 days in Orange, 2 days in Perth Amboy. Lots of fun.

[This message has been edited by Inspector Grump (edited 11-26-2003).]

Larry
H
John,

You may not get this one but sometimes I get EC's who yell at me in one town and then say to me, "Yeah!, Well the inspector in the next town lets me get away with it." I stop and look at them and then I politly tell them that I work in that town too, and I don't let them do it there either. (I work in 4 different towns.) Another statement is, "Well all the other inspectors let me get away with it." "You are the only one who doesn't allow it."

Harold:
Most of the times, I don't hear any comments from the EC's. I think, for the most part, when they get a red sticker they realize the error/oversight and correct it as required by the NEC.

The point that I was trying to make in this thread is that the 'media' fans the flames of a 'problem', (as they have the right to), but don't say anything positive. Someone reading the referenced articles, or the ones about Manalapan, may get the idea that it's a 'free-fo-all' here.

John

John
H
John,

I heard another story about a CO and/or building inspector who was brought in front of the DCA because a large res. project had problems. The state asked why the CO/building insp. didn't slow down the job or do their inspections and the CO's reply was that it was a large Hovna**ian project and he couldn't slow them down. The buildiers kept building and doing what they wanted, etc. I don't know how much is the total truth. You know what I mean, half truth here and half truths there. As for letting big companies push you, I am fighting right now with the state and a large big box store about work space clearence. If you look under the other board you will see my diagram. I told the store I didn't care when they opened up, if it isn't safe, It needed to be fixed. The state did the plan review and I sent it back to the state to re-review it again. If the state signs off on it, then I will have to.

P
Harold

"if the state signs off on it, then I will have to."

I have seen the thread, and I say good for you. If the state signs off, why put your name on it, I say no way, not in my name.
GOOD LUCK

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Harold:
Yes, you are talking about the Manalapan mess I think.

I have to appologize, as I did not look at your other thread, but I will tonite.

A little more eloquent then Pierre's comment, I have to say....If the State signs off, then you should not have too. (I would not)

John

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard