ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
It has been brought to my attention that most EC's will use the push in terminals for plug and switches, instead of terminating conductors around the device screws.

What's your opinion?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
I am not an EC.

I have personally seen the effects of push-in terminated devices. (Some of my photos are posted on the board.)

If there is a screw that is used to tighten the connection, such as with the GFCI receptacles (the ones that have a back-stab hole but require the screw to tighten the connection), I don't see a problem.

If one is relying on a spring type of connection, then I would not trust it.

I have also found that the screws provided in some of the cheaper devices are almost as soft as the copper, and are not very sturdy.

If I understand correctly, 12AWG can no longer be used with push-in connections, right? Why is 14AWG permitted and not 12?...

M
I have done it both ways in the past. And I have to be honest, I have yet to run across a push-in connection that has failed when properly installed. Not to say that it doesn't happen. I have read about others who run across this all the time. I have seen numerous, and I will repeat NUMEROUS, recepticles that failed when the connection came loose from the screw. I have at times used the push-in connection (on 14 awg only) when pigtailing the circuit. I can only assume that the integrety of the connection lies in the ability of the installer. Also, if the device is overloaded the push-in or screw connection will fail. On the cheaper devices they loose tention and overheat with time. Many times I change all the devices in a home because they can't keep anything plugged in. I guess quality lies with the installer.

Blessings,
Mark

R
I never use a "pushin connection", but do use the back wired devices where the screw clamps a pressure plate against the wire.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
I
Unless it is the type Don describes I will not use them.

About the only place I have ever used the spring type is on a switch as I will know that the current load is low.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
I use the screws! I have spent too many hours on service calls troubleshooting loose connections on backstabbed devices.I have also seen the scorched walls and burnt insulation on the wiring from these faulty connections. [Linked Image] My opinion...If the difference in time between backstabbing a device or using the screws, is going to make or break the job, you bid it too low to begin with.

Donnie
E
The first thing I look for when I get a complaint about no power on a receptacle or a loss of power on a branch circuit is a loose backstabbed connection. 99% of the time I'm right. It was worse before the restriction on wire size to #14, but I always use the terminal screw.

John

John
G
I too use the screws.I've seen several backstabs cause problems.

It doesn't take much more time when you do a few jobs that way.

Russell

S
I would personally like to thank UL for the continued buisiness i recieve from thier blatant inepptitude

carry on fellas!

~S~

Look here!

[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard