ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 311 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Thinkgood,

The "penguin" episode!!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Joe, the article says "internal" parts. So I assume if only the metal locker holding the equipment (switch box, etc.) is spraypainted and no paint gets inside....yes it would be annoying but not critical to safe use.

Here in New York, the minute a fresh new surface becomes available (someone puts up a new phone booth, freshly painted wall, newspaper vending machine or an electrical box on the side of a building or a new door or gate on a building), it takes about a day or so for bumper stickers touting new releases of rap/hip-hop LPs and spray-painted "tags" to make their appearance. [Linked Image]

And then there are the ubiquitous "EMERGENCY 24-HOUR LOCKSMITH, CALL 212-XXX-XX-XX" round stickers on EVERY SINGLE LOCK (even padlocks on meter boxes and mailboxes).

Speedy Petey: Some of us don't have the option to move somewhere else. [Linked Image]

I believe there are special paints or some sort of coatings that are treated so that things like spray paint, shoe polish and magic-marker scribbles don't "stick" to it. Maybe if a GC had the painters use this sort of thing on electrical equipment?

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 11-12-2003).]

S
Often there is a label on the panel schedule that says to not get paint on the breakers. Would getting paint on them be violating manufacturer's instructions?

S
Sven, that's a shame. For me it was either go all the way out on the Island or Upstate. I knew from an early age I needed to get the hell away from the city. I guess I'm not cut out for it.
I did work in the Boroughs, even Manhattan a few times. My boss was working under someone elses license so we had to do everything hush-hush. We had to lock everything up tight even if we were 10 feet away. Always looking over your shoulder to catch anyone who might grab something. One time in the Bronx I had roaches crawling on my leg. I walked off the job. [Linked Image]
I absolutely HATED it!

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard