ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
[Linked Image]

I REST MY CASE!!!

See 110.3(B)

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Makes perfect sense considering there is a likelihood the spring-loaded metal cover will rub up against the plug pins if someone were to pull the plug out without moving the cover out of the way first.

By the way, does the outlet really look like that? With the two t-slots?

I didn't know they still made those. You can stick a NEMA 1-15, 2-20, 5-15, 5-20, 6-15 or 6-20 in there. [Linked Image]

Sven,

I don't think the cover could ever contact the pins on the plug. I think the sticker is more likely an FYI on which way the Receptacle is installed so people would not have to bend down and look under the cover.

Bill

Bill
Bill:

Yes, I agree, and that makes sense too! The cord cap is inserted and then twisted to make contact.

Ah shucks! I thought I had a winner!!

R
Joe, if you are implying 110.3(b), may I ask if this is listing or manufacturer's instructions?

Also, does the NEC address manufacturer's instructions like every other code in the world does, or just listing?

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Ryan:

I believe that the answers to your questions would be Yes.

Here's a sample of the information and "instructions" I found when I searched for this type of equipment.

The plug must be fully inserted in the receptacle and rotated clockwise to manually operate the enclosed switch, closing the circuit to the receptacle.

R
Joe I apologize if I am hijacking the topic here, but if what you say is true, consider the following:

There are several manufacturers of panelboards who include in their instructions to only install their brand of breakers in their panels. There are also some breakers that are listed to be used in their panels. Now I ask: Does a listed breaker installed in a panelboard, against the instructions of the manufacturer, comply with the code? Please include a reference for my learning. Thanks

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Ryan

The information that is printed on many panelboards is a complete set of instructions, and specifications, and includes a specific warning that makes it clear that the use of other devices, not manufactured by "the companies name" will void any warranty, etc., etc.....

R
Joe, I'm certainly not saying that its a neat thing to do, but is it an enforcable violation?

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
T
IMO,if the breaker(s) of another manufacturer are UL listed for use in different brand panel(s), I don't see a violation of the NEC. The only issue would be the warranty from the manufacturer of the panel. I think that in most cases where a different brand breaker is added in existing panel, the warranty has long expired anyway.

Donnie
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard