ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 441 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Here's what I mean, found in an old book was this information about a "neutral" ...
[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Joe, There's a very similar definition in a book I've got, "Elements of Electrical Engineering" It was published in 1924.
Sounds like the same old thing to me....S

Administrator
The following comes from Electrician's Handy Book 1905, T. O'Conor Sloane, and published by Munn & Co.

This excerpt comes from the section on Distribution and is concerned with street lights. It is important to remember that initial street lighting schemes were commonly DC. The generator had to produce the power at the utilization voltage. Lots of lamps resulted in high current flows back at the generator, and the distance involved running to dispersed street lights meant voltage drop was a real concern. The resulting constant pontential distribution schemes required tons of copper.

Note that the neutral wire is introduced in the second paragraph under Three-Wire System.

- ElectricAl
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
Interesting reading. Does this book have anything to say on the subject of grounding the neutral?

In fact, back in 1905, were many 3-w DC systems floating?

E
Paul,

It is interesting, isn't it? In 1905 Nicola Tesla's breakthrough AC motor technology was under patent protection. Polyphase theory was still spreading as the individual technician/engineer tried to wrap his head around AC created rotary magnetic fields.

The primary use for electric energy was powering lights and motors, and generators had to by very close to their loads.

This book, while delving deeply into AC motors and generators, spends a lot of print on the installed base of machinery that had accrued over the previous forty years, and it is heavily DC. The term "neutral" has its roots back in these mists, obviously emenating from Edison's 1883 patent of the Three Wire System. This book shows many strange (by today's thinking) distribution schemes that offered incremental performance improvements of an inherently geographically limited system. One huge impediment to commercial viability was, simply, the cost of the copper.

In 1905
The manufacture of 220-volt lamps has been considered a difficult problem to solve under commercial limits.
---Electricians' Handy Book---
With respect to grounding, the Electricians' Handy Book illustrates a couple ground indicators used to alarm if any "circuit wires" are grounded. Elsewhere in the text:
Earthing Dynamo Frames. -- The windings of a dynamo or motor must be carefully insulated from the earth. The frame, on the other hand, is to be connected thereto. It is pretty sure to have such a connection in any event. Small motors may be insulated altogether.

Al Hildenbrand
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard