ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Has anyone seen any Major Changes that seem to have been approved for the 2005 NEC?

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Bill: I dont think this is major, but the change to add caloric energy to article 110.16 is one that I believe most electricians will struggle with. Either that or the manufacturers might be able to address it from the plant with factory installed labels. If the manufacturers do it, you may see some happy electricians.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
R
Also, the change to allow rounding up to the next standard OCPD rating up to 1600A could save electricians a lot of money. I often refuse services during plan review that want to use (3) parrallel 500KCMIL's for their 1200A service. This change seems to be going full steam ahead according to Charlie the utility guy, who is on the CMP of art.240

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
R
Alright, I'm going to keep going until somebody tells me to shut up!

The definition of the word kitchen will help enforcement of 210.8. IMO, it will include break rooms in a business occupancy.

Also, the deletion of article(s) 3xx.10, uses permitted is a step in the right direction.

210.8 for the addition of GFCI's in other than dwelling units for outdoor receptacles accessible to the public is a HUGE change, IMO. (I guess we don't care to protect "other than the public though).

If you are interested in the 2005 NEC, IAEI has a GREAT slide show of ROP'S at their site, http://www.iaei.org/anniversary.htm

If you've never used power point before, open that link, download it, run it and push F5 to start it. ENJOY!

[This message has been edited by Ryan_J (edited 10-02-2003).]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
210.8 for the addition of GFCI's in other than dwelling units for outdoor receptacles accessible to the public is a HUGE change, IMO. (I guess we don't care to protect "other than the public though).
Was that discussed in Orlando? Just wondering what viewpoints were brought up on this if it was.

Bill

P.S. keep going .... [Linked Image]

Bill
T
Nothing about which way is "up" when installing a receptacle?

Ducking and running...

R
We need to be careful here. The 2005 code is not set in stone at this time. I've seen proposals that were unanimously accepted in the ROP be unanimously in the ROC, and some changes are even made on the floor at the May meeting where the code is adopted by the NFPA.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
P
I for one do not like the proposed definition of kitchen for 2005. It is too vague and will only be a problem as I read it.

Panel Meeting Action: Accept in principle

Kitchen: An area used, or designated to be used, for the preparation of food.
1-114 p.105 of the ROP

The proposal for a neutral is also something I do not like.
1-122 p. 118 0f the ROP

Panel Meeting Action;Accept in Principle

Neutral Conductor: A conductor, other than a grounding conductor, that is connected to the common point if a wye connection in a polyphase system or the point of a symmetrical system which is normally at zero voltage.

They are adding an FPN to Qualified Person.
1-130 p.123

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Don,

Can you give an example(s) of things that have been changed at the 11th hour?

Bill

Bill
G
Gwz Offline
Bill,

I agree with Don.

With-out looking in the ROP's and the TCR's that I have since 1986 , there has been many cases as Don has noted.

I have made several proposals over the code cycle years and a very few have been accepted.

Noted the complete reversal of several CMP decisions between the Proposal stage and the actual NEC when printed.

I think it is impossible for anyone working a job would have time to read each proposal and to make comments in the short time to do so.

Get busy and make comments on any of the proposals, but you've got about 28 days to do so and less if you use the USPS.

Gwz

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard