ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 213 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#86273 09/27/03 04:21 PM
E
I defer to Curt's hands on experience with these units. . .but it appears to me that determining the Main Bonding Jumper guage is complicated by the Neutral Bus being rivited or bolted to the enclosure by the manufacturer. . .

Al Hildenbrand
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#86274 09/27/03 04:29 PM
I
All of this sizing issue goes right out the window if there is no metal water pipe.

The GEC to a ground rod only needs to be 6 AWG and to a Concrete-Encased Electrode 4 AWG.

Thanks to Roger for pointing this out else where. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#86275 09/27/03 05:02 PM
Deleted duplicate reply

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 10-01-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#86276 09/27/03 05:06 PM
Ryan:

Are those grounded conductors I see in the picture, those with three continuous white stripes running along their entire length?

If so, I could use a close up so as to avoid misinterpretations where some changes images show three bands at the terminations of the neutral.

Bob brings up a good point and I am sure that if the water pipe you described as being the electrode in this case was not available that you knew that the 6 AWG and 4 AWG when they are the sole connections to the rod or CEE (Ufer Ground) would be adequate.

The water pipe is also required to be suplemented with another electrode, which one will be used on this job?

How do you handle the inspection process in SLC?

Do you leave a notice, send a notice, or tags when you are completed with an electrical inspection?

Are you the only electrical inspector, or are their others or combination types in your area.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#86277 09/27/03 05:30 PM
R
Ryan_J Offline OP
Hi Joe. The white striped conductors are the grounded conductors of (2) SER cables feeding panelboards in the basement. The two wires next to them are their associated EGC's. We try to get a Ufer ground out on all structures, but on this one it got cut off or stepped on or whatever. It wouldn't matter in this case if there was a Ufer, because the pipe was available and therefore must be used, Ufer or not. The supplement electrode in this case is a ground rod and the installer chose to run a #2 to it, which was more than he has to. When I spoke to the installer this was a good example for me to use to try to push the Ufer onto him.

I actually inspect in Draper city, which is in the Salt Lake Valley, slightly south of SLC. We have 4 inspectors, 2 plans examiners and 1 building official. I do 50% of all commercial inspections and 100% of all commercial electrical inspections. I also inspect some residential in my area. The typical houses I inspect cost about $500,000-$1,000,000. I have inspected some houses here with 600 amp, full-blown commercial services...CT can, teh whole ball of wax.

When we perform an inspection we simply leave a carbon of the report on site, put one in the file and leave one in our book. We do about 15 inspections per day, per inspector, which is just about perfect.

In this state it is pretty common to use combination inspectors, but each typically has his/her strong point, mine being electrical. SLC and South SLC do not use combination inspectors, but they also do a lot less inspections since there is really not a lot of growth there, IMO. You'll get the chance to meet with some of my friends from SLC that are on the IAEI board of directors with me when you make it out this way.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#86278 10/01/03 07:23 AM
R
Never mind. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 10-01-2003).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard