ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 312 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#86112 09/11/03 07:38 AM
Z
Zapped Offline OP
Hey All,

I have a ground-up install for a home being built with metal framing. I've only ever worked with metal framing on commercial projects, where all my wiring required metal conduit anyway.

My question is this: Do I need metalic conduit (flex, MC and EMT) throughout the entire home, seeing as how the circuits will chase through metal framing?

Additionally, do any of the masters in this forum have any general advise for performing this particular installation? Any pitfalls I should avoid?

Your infinite wisdom is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
If your location is using the NEC 2002 with no additional requirements that would disallow this then NM cables can be used if installed in accordance to 300.4(B)1 which requires listed grommets or bushings.

Shane

P
I am not familiar with California's code, I know that some changes have come about. But check to see if they allow NM cable installed. If so follow the lead of Shane.
I was recently in Orange County California and there was an all metal building going up. They were using EMT, I took pictures. I will try to send these in so you can see.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Z
Zapped Offline OP
Thank you, gentlemen. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I think I'm going to try and squeeze metal conduit into the budget (or out of the client) just because I'll be much more comfortable with the install. Being that the vast majority of my experience is in commercial, I've never been a big fan of NM anyway.

BTW, this job happens to be in Laguna Beach (in Orange County, CA)

Thanks again!

-Shawn

Link Copied to Clipboard