ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The missing screw, and open knockout have been identified by the inspector, and the receptacle is secured with a single 6/32 screw.

The drill bit just happens to be sitting on top of the box.

Do you see any additional violations? If so, please cite the rule in the NEC.

[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-06-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Since there is a commpression conduit fitting, I would think this is outdoors. It is not weatherproof, nor is the cover. Of course, since manufacturers do not make UL listed raintight compression connectors, this whole job is suspect. (Article 314.15(A))

Box fill might be exceeded, if more than 3 conductors are installed. (Article 314.16)

Is the box supported correctly? (Article 314.23 (A))

Now, where is that article about stupidity????

Rick

Rick:

I did not think about the box fill with the 2 wire device deduction in this octagon box.

If it had 2 - 12 AWG THW, for example, and the box was one of the sizes in the table how would we determne if it was too small?

I am pretty sure that this was in a hotel along a wall in an equipment room, and not out 0f doors, if it was I would have taken more pictures of it.

The connector issue is strange, and we have to be careful when they are used in locations that include those other than dry that are defined in Article 100 under "Locations"

The stupidity code? I think that is still being edited and maybe we can ask a few of the members here for some advice, or maybe they can direct us to a place were we can find rules that apply?

You still have one more item to identify before the Red Tag can be left on the Job .....

E
This is obviously an old installation which was very common. Why are we applying current codes to this? Can I have my drill bit back now.

R
Rick,
In my area compression type connectors are almost always because they are required by the job specs. It is a very rare set of specs that permit the use of set screw connectors and couplings.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
W
Is there a green pigtail wire to tie the outlet's ground to the box?

And there's a missing screw that should be holding the cover to the box.

T
Somebody knocked out a knockout and didn't un-knock it properly.

NEC 314.17(a)???

Oh, also, the device is upside-down [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 09-05-2003).]

Scott:

You are correct, but if the existing receptacle secured to this flat cover was replaced ..... could the

AHJ make you bring it up to the current code?

Then the greenEBJ, the screws to be more than one securing the receptacle to the cover would be violations.

The KO and missing screw were identified in the first post here.

The drill? That was BJ's and he borrowed it from Bill and Reno was looking for it too because he said that Sparky was using it to do work for Websparky and some of the other electricians in the UK, Belgan, Australia, and France!!

Who owns the drill bit??

Here's one that's a couple of shades of grey.
If it was installed by'02 Code, 406.4(C)..."shall be held rigidly against the cover by more than one screw..."
If by '99 Code, 410-56(f)(3)..."shall be secured by more than one screw"....
If by '96 Code, 410-56(i) only said "Receptacles installed in raised covers shall not be secured solely by a single screw".
This installation appears to be older than the '99 Code. So it wouldn't be subject to that rule.

The box is a 4"X1-1/2" octogonal. Even if the conductors were #10, the box has the necessary volume. (I also seem to remember that in the "bad old days", there was only a 1 conductor per device deduction made from the box fill)...S

P
One cannot rely on the fitting for continuity of the equipment ground when using a round box.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard