ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 403 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#85897 08/25/03 05:40 PM
M
This poses an interesting question. I have visited a number of restarants that use there rustic light fixtures that looks like it consists of homemade materials. One in particular is an upside down metal pail with what looks like a wire guard from a HID fixture. The lamp socket is attached to a fabricated box afixed to the bottom of the pail and suspended from a down rod. I saw no listing labels. How can this be? Are there exceptions that can be argued with the AHJ when these restarants are built?

Blessings, Mark

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#85898 08/25/03 07:17 PM
I
It is not unusual for us to get jobs that require custom fixtures.

One that I can think of required wall sconces and pendent fixtures that where made of tea cups, in the style of Alice in Wonderland. [Linked Image]

I do not know where the shop gets things like this made, but they are able to get custom listed fixtures.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#85899 08/25/03 07:46 PM
B
One-off fixture labeling is somewhat like labeling available to electric-sign builders, and subject to periodic unannounced inspections and record keeping for assembled products.

#85900 08/26/03 02:43 PM
S
Ryan, is the string going to be home-made or is it a factory-made string?

I've seen these strings as home-made kludges also.

The cheesiest one -- usually done by amusement parks, carnivals and restaurants (usually those places with out-door dining areas) and holiday lighting is the following:

You take two lengths of THHN, THWN or TFFN or whatever (dunno if stranded or solid) and place them parallel. I'm sure some people probably use zip cord because it's so much cheaper.

Then you get these "attach-on" (or signboard) lampholders that use insulation piercing contacts to punch through the inslation after you twist a locking mechanism on top. These are placed so the lampholder is across the two wires (like a ladder).

The entire string then gets spliced into the mains. Festoon lighting I believe it's called.

The NYC Transit Authority uses mostly home-made lighting strings that consist of heavy duty jacketed cable to which are spliced these pigtail lampholders (usually in pairs) and 5" lengths of cord with molded-on convenience receptacles -- picture the female end that's been chopped off an extension cord.

The splices are covered with lots and lots of electrician's tape.

Plastic yellow cages are then attached to the rubber lampholders (these things frequently pop off anyway or get stolen).

In recent years, I've noticed there's a move in some places to use these pre-fab strings.

The Transit Authority also uses some of them.

You can tell because the lampholders are molded on to the service cable -- they also come with plastic bulb cages.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 08-26-2003).]

#85901 08/26/03 09:39 PM
R
Ryan_J Offline OP
Sven: I have not seen them yet, but from what I understand they will be a listed product. I spoke with the electrician today and he says he is still working on finding one I will accept. He says he has seen cut-sheets on several they have proposed but knew that I would turn them down.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#85902 08/28/03 01:14 AM
B
I was in a Italian food place yesterday that uses festoon type lighting (2 parallel conductors and clamp-on sockets). These were clearly low voltage because I could see a step down transformer near the end of each string. I was able to get to a place where I could read one of the bulbs. 12V. from the R V supplier.

#85903 08/28/03 04:50 PM
S
SvenNYC said:

You take two lengths of THHN, THWN or TFFN or whatever (dunno if stranded or solid) and place them parallel. I'm sure some people probably use zip cord because it's so much cheaper.

Joe Tedesco later told me via e-mail that you're suppsoed to use STRANDED, not solid, when making a festoon lighting string using insulation-piercing lampholders.

#85904 10/08/03 08:56 PM
R
Ryan_J Offline OP
I made the decision today to not allow them. The electrician couldn't give me a listing, so I looked the manufacturer up on the web. Their page page pops up and advertises "temporary lighting".

I discussed this at our IAEI board meeting today, and the consesus was to not allow them.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#85905 10/08/03 09:15 PM
I
Thanks for the update Ryan, how did the EC take the news?

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#85906 10/09/03 09:22 AM
R
Ryan_J Offline OP
The EC took the news fine, but the owner didn't [Linked Image]

I've been playing phone tag with the owner yesterday and today so we'll see what happens.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard